Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jan 20, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Alot of people on here seem kind of mad that Warwick and Lakland are making cheaper basses to let more people be able to afford them.Well I saw in the new BP that the skyline is $999.That didn't seem to cheap to me!How much are most Lakland's?

2. Retail on a 55-94 standard is $3300. I got mine used for less than $1500 - and they can be found cheaper than that if you're patient.

allan

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    OK,now i see why 1,000 is a small price for a lakland!Geez 3,000 is a lot to pay.

4. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    have you guys played a skyline already? I played a 55-01 for only 10 minutes, it felt great to me.... any comments about this bass?
    thank you all

5. frankencow said...

OK,now i see why 1,000 is a small price for a lakland!Geez 3,000 is a lot to pay.

It is a lot of money, but I don't know anyone who's played a US Lakland and wasn't happy with it.

The Lakland pretty much cured my GAS (except I wouldn't turn away from a Sadowsky at a good price) - now I'm looking at amps instead of basses :D

allan

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have a 55-01, but with the electronics of a 55-94. I like it a lot, but the band leaders that I play for LOVE it!

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i wasnt happy with it and sold it promtly. luckily i bought it used so i didnt lose a ton of cash

8. Now I'm curious, narud - I'm not gonna argue the point or try to change your mind because everyone's tastes are different - but what didn't you like about it?

thanks -

allan

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    no,the question i have for narud is,why did you buy it if you didnt like it?

10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    amen!:D

11. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    oooh, that was my 200th post!:p

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i loved the bass itself because it was solid as a rock for a production style bass. great feeling neck. im just not a bartolini guy. i dont like that the ntmb makes pickups sound like a louder version of the passive pickups. i like a preamp that adds some zing but the bart/bart setup on those basses is just really dry and lifeless to me.

right now ive got a lull modern 5 that has duncan single coils and a ntmb. it has some single coil openess, but still suffers from a little bit of the thing i didnt like about the lakland. i guess im just not much of a bart man more than im not a lakland man. id really like to try a 5594 with duncans and a demeter pre.

13. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I also sold my 55-94 after 3 weeks of ownership because of the pickups. I played a 55-01 Saturday and think that it sounds better than my 55-94 Deluxe, I think the price is swaying me here, though!! I just seem to like the way soapbar pickups sound more than the Bart MM/J configuration....

14. narud said...

i loved the bass itself because it was solid as a rock for a production style bass. great feeling neck. im just not a bartolini guy. i dont like that the ntmb makes pickups sound like a louder version of the passive pickups. i like a preamp that adds some zing but the bart/bart setup on those basses is just really dry and lifeless to me.

right now ive got a lull modern 5 that has duncan single coils and a ntmb. it has some single coil openess, but still suffers from a little bit of the thing i didnt like about the lakland. i guess im just not much of a bart man more than im not a lakland man. id really like to try a 5594 with duncans and a demeter pre.

Dan can fix you up - but I don't know where you could get your hands on one to try it out.

allan

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I can add positively that the Duncans make all the difference. I owned 4 55-94s and loved everything about them but couldn't get 100% happy with the tone. The Barts (to my ears) somehow lack the ability to get a good spanky, snarly tone and still sound natural. I finally landed on a 55-63 with 2 Basslines Js and the standard Bart preamp and got what I wanted in spades...it's got so much bite that Lakland installed a passive tone control before the preamp and I keep it rolled back a bit for all but the nastiest tone. All done with the active eq set pretty much flat.

16. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have a Lakland 4 deluxe and never be happy with the tone perhaps because of the Bart, it is sweet but neither punch and bite nor the character of MM or Jazz Bass. Perhaps I should change the pick up and electronic . I have Pedulla MVP 4 with Bart and I feel the same. The only best Bart I found the soap bar installed in my Warwick SS1.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I concur, my 55-94 with Barts is neither spanky nor snarly... that's why I like my Jazzes. I use the Lakland for what it does do.

I get really nice growl with my MTD 635 but that's a completely different beast from the Lakland. The same goes for my 84 Tobias 5, also with Bartolini electronics.

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    for some reason, while i generally dont like the sound of bartolini electronics, i think they sound fab when in a bass built by michael tobias. hmmm......

19. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Being in Alaska, I have a very significant disadvantage in that I can't really try basses before buying them, and I if I have to resell it, the market isn't exactly hopping here and I'd take a beating reselling it.

I'm thinking about getting a 5 (or maybe a 6) and was curious about what y'all thought of the Skyline.

Also, is the string spacing on the 5 the "standard" 3/4 inches?

On the Bart pup discussion, not that I'm the most experienced, but I was surprised to read what y'all had to say about them. I've found that they really vary in tone from model to model. I'll stay tuned, though, and see what I can learn.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hey Tom, haven't seen you in a long time
    :)