Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KronRider, Jun 19, 2002.

1. KronRider

KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Miami
    HI everyone.......check this out...is the $1000+ im spending on this new lakland skyline 44-02 worth it??? Im a fender jazz "passive" kinda guy (im all about the actual sound of the bass) and im wondering if im paying this much for geat wood or fancy schmancy electronics. (keep in mind that the 55-01 five string version comes with their more basic preamp and is also $600 cheaper...................Thanks!!!!

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Is it worth $1000? Most definately!!!
    Is it a great bass? (see above :))
    Is it the right bass for you? :confused: Beats me!

Peace,

- Frank.

3. KronRider

KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Miami
    mst definitely the right bass.....ive been looking for a bass like this since december. After countless forum searches, reviews and other types of discoveries, i came across this bass and i had to try it out and I did. I can honestly say that these basses COULD set the standard for mid priced buyers. But this is just my prediction. I have yet to REALLY play it. I will definitely keep you guys posted.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I think the neck is the biggest factor as to whether or not you'll like it. I don't know about the 4 strings, but the Lakland fivers are known for their beefy necks. Some love it, others hate it. But I don't think anyone (at least around these parts) doubts the quality of the these basses.

- Frank.

5. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I was also drawn in by the LAKLAND SKYLINE 44-02, the only thing that worries me is the neck. I think the string spacing is more like a precision than a jazz. I would really have to give one of these basses a test before i forked out that kinda money.
    I'm a Jazz bass gut at heart.

Adios!

6. KronRider

KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Miami
    I think that the difference in size between the jazz bass and the 44-02 is .1" so there is only a very slight difference.

7. Correct, the Lakland 4 string necks are 1.6" wide at the nut, compared with 1.5" on a J, and roughly 1.75" on a P.

mike

8. KronRider

KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Miami
    Yeah man I think theres a nice little middle ground to work with there(referring to the nec width).
    not too big not too small......

Still need help with that question i posted pleease.....
    To add to that though, Do u guys think that some things were "Budgeted" with that whole Korean built stuff(mainly pointing toward the choice of wood)(how do they save money with that process?)
    "Canadian maple"??? Also what type of ash is used in the skyline series?
    I figured since Canada has a freaking maple leaf on its flag, that uhh they value their trees though.................... but im not sure
    Let me know pros!
    thanx:eek:

9. Sorry for not posting sooner, I don't get in to this board as often as I probably should. I'll see if I cn help you out, but keep in mind that all Skyline info is still going to be based on the 55-01/55-02, as the 4 strings aren't here yet.
    Part of the price is indeed the electronics, which are identical to the USA Lakland basses. A relatively small part, but it's nice to have a bass that sounds good acoustically and can accurately reproduce that sound through an amp. The bartolini preamp in these basses does have a pull-pot so you can bypass the active and just run with vol/blend/tone (I believe the treble functions as a passive tone here, I'll check on a 44-02) if you're so inclined. I personally don't like the sound of bartolini pickups run passive, but many people dissagree with me on that point, so who knows.
    The wood is used with more of an emphasis on tone than appearance. Some of the sunburst ones I've played had wood that was merely good looking, no spectacular grain, some were quite beautiful, but all of them sounded wonderful acoustically, very resonant and even.
    So, I'd say that you're not paying the $ specifically for just the electronics, or just the wood, you're paying for wood that sounds great, and electronics that give you much flexability as to where you go from there. Hope some of this helps, if you still have any questions, fire away!

mike
    dude's roadie

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well, i feel a little like im under a rock here, you guys are talking about the 44-02's as if it already arrived, i am a lakland dealer and i am told they are not here and wont be for a while yet- i have played a number of skylines and my assesment is that although they are not a 55-94, ( but half the price) they are not half the bass, they absolutely rock- they differences being the flatsawn/quartersawn neck issue - the graphite reinforcement, and the tuning gear, even the bridge is very, very similar to the us ones- in laklands own words " we can't see why anyone would miss the us bridge, they are virtually the same"- i still wanna know where you are getting a 44-02, you must have CONNECTIONS!! ;) - i cant get one and like i said, im a dealer--:confused:

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  12. KronRider

KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Miami
    Thank you gentlemen, very helpful, im getting it soon so ill lt u all know whats up...
    -Kron