Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland string height and action

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 7, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What is LOW action? I know the answer is subjective, therefore I'm referencing actual measurements. I read a lot of test reports and talked to a couple of luthiers. The consensus is that medium to low action is 6/64" (B) to 4/64" (G) measured from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string at the 12th fret on open strings. There should be no string buzz with medium attack. Relief is set to minimum.

- Dan Lakland told me that 6/64"-4/64" is good and low for Lakland Basses. I have a Bob Glaub.

- What kind of action measurments are you getting out of your Laklands? Other basses?

- The measurement in the pic is 6/64" (3/32").

[​IMG]

2. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I set my basses up from 5/64" on the B gradually decreasing to 4/64" on the G.

On my 6 string though I go from 6/64" to 5/64" b/c the C string feels strange down at 4/64".

The relief on Zons is approx .017-.018" and I set my Fender and MTD's around .015"

Be sure to hold the strings down at the first fret though if you have a nut. This takes the nut out of the equation to give you a more accurate measurement.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You're on the right track, and the measurements that you quoted are somewhat of a norm for low action players. I set up all of my basses within the 6/64 to 4/64 tolerances. I used to own a 55-94 Deluxe and set up that bass the same way.

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks and Yes! Using a capo or holding down the strings at the first fret does indeed take the nut out of the equation for a more acurate measurement.

- Bass Player Mag reported that using the fretted method, as pd_5string mentioned, a MEDIUM setup would be 6/64"(B) to 5/64" (G).

- They also noted that the Dingwall bass had measurements of 2/64" (B) to 1/64" (G) with no buzzing. :eek:

- Lakland references open string measurements.

gfab333, Are your Lakland measurements open string or fretted at the first fret? It makes a difference of about 1/64" depending on the nut. Lakland nuts are cut low.

5. I have my Fender Jazz setup with the action decreasing from 5/64 to 4/64 from the low E to the G.

I like the fingerboard to be quite flat so I adjust for .009".

6. Mine runs 5/64" to 4/64" on a maple neck 55-94.

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Is this to say that the string height at the nut is the same as a "zero fret"?

8. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    No.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I can't figure out why it would be any different.

10. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    JR,

Are you measuring with your Bass laying flat? If so, you'll get a false reading due to gravity pushing down on the string. When picked up and measured in the play position, you'll find that the measurement is probably closer to 4/32" rather than the 3/32" as in the pic.
    I take measurements in the play position...resting the Bass in my lap as if playing it while sitting down.
    On my J Bass, I consider string height to be on the low side. With the first fret depressed, string height at the 17th fret is 3/32" on all 4 strings. At the 12th fret it's a fraction less than this. Still at the 12th fret, if I measure without depressing the string at the first fret, then the measurement is a fraction over 3/32". I have paper thickness relief at the 5th fret with 1st and 12th depressed (in play position).

Cheers.

P.S. Your thread will probably get moved to the SETUP Forum.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    JR Brown,

just confirming that I use the "open string / 12th fret measurement" method. I thought that it was the "industry standard" based on magazine articles and conversations with others.

12. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    JR,

CORRECTION to what I said above!!! At the time I was mucking around with my Bass and have confused myself!!!

When I measure string height, I DON'T depress the first fret.

In a nut shell...measurements and adjustments in the play position with string open...at the 17th fret I set string height to 3/32" on all 4 strings...if I then take a measurement at the 12th fret, the height measures slightly less than 3/32" (about 5/64").

Cheers.