Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, May 30, 2004.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Man I love these strings or at least the way they sound on my Lakland 55-02D. I got this bass about two months ago and they still sound great and I have been playing the bass alot too. Anyone know where/by who these strings are made?

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The Laklands are made by GHS. The stainless ones are Super Steels, and the nickel ones are boomers. They are made to Lakland's specs, to allow for stringing through the body; you can buy them from Lakland direct.

3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    I guess I like GHS boomers. :D I have indeed ordered from Lakland Direct.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I don't buy this, because the GHS house strings I bought,,, suck compared to the strings my 55-01 came with... Plus, the B that came on it,, was tapered,, whereas the B that came w/ the GHS house strings I bought,,, was NOT tapered.

Maybe the SS boomers have a tapered B?

Lakland sells DR's Hi Beams on the same page they sell the "Lakland Brand"... As such, I think its more likely a named version of the DR's... I just know the GHS's I purchased, feel nothing like the strings that came on my Lakland.

5. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Well, they are made by GHS. I don't really know if they are Supersteels and Boomers though. The tapered B is made to fit their string-thru bridge. For some reason these strings feel more flexible than Boomers and Supersteels to me. Another thing I've been observing is that strings that come with basses seem to sound the best on them. To me anyway. Lakland...Lakland strings. Zon......Zon strings...etc.

6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I will share my observations when I get the Lakland strings that I ordered online. The strings that were on my lakland when I purchased it were dead and I was not able to give them a fair testing. so I am going to give them another try.

7. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Makes sense to me.

8. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    What kind of Laklands are on the USA Joe Osbourne? I have this bass, and the strings are still good, but I want to know what to buy and guage too so I don't have to do a full setup if possible...

Thats why I used to play flats - laziness. Do a setup when the weather changes rather than my strings. ;)

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I actually called Lakland about this. The "Lakland Brand" strings ARE GHS... The SS version are the Lakland spec'd, GHS Super Steels, & is what comes installed on thier basses.

What that means is, they've got a tapered B string for those of us w/ a 5'er. The GHS SuperSteels do NOT have a tapered B.

10. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I have a 4 string, so they are Stainless Steel? Interesting. I do not thing I would have expected them to feel not so bad on the hands, but they are "zingy"...