1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland tone in this video

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gab124, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I love the tone this player is getting in this video. How much is the lakland, amp etc - or in other words, how would I start approaching the emulation of this tone? I have a good jazz to start.

2. Totally dig it. To my ear, that sounds like a very nice 60's style alder/RW J bass with the bridge pickup favored just a touch, and a very skilled, clean player digging in a bit playing a bit close to the bridge versus the neck.

A nice set of moderately broken in nickel roundwounds helps also.

Surely not a unique tone to Lakland, but their JO model Skyline in alder/RW should get you there nicely, as will any 60's design era Fender IMO.

I couldn't really see the bass, but the above is what it sounds like to me.

3. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Thanks, I find it a very tasteful performance that complimented the song well. 60's eh, I think my current jazz is more 70's styled - maybe my second jazz will be 60's influence when I get one.
    Thanks

4. I had a typo above in the second paragraph..... that the wood combination would obviously be alder/Rosewood... not the maple that I typed:meh: FYI.

Yeah, that warm, punchy midrange with that upper midrange growl is a hallmark to my ear of that 60's era type tone.

I just did a search, and he does play an alder/RW JO. Nice tone.

I enjoy that kind of vibe, and also the wider, more aggressive sound of an ash/maple bass with 70's pickup position.

Finally, single coil J pickups help get you to that tone also... they are, in general, a bit warmer and more 'mid growly' than most split coil or other HC design J pickups to my ear.

Nice clip!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Having Mike's hands, heart and head would be a good start! He's been a LONG time influence on me... very approachable online too.

http://www.mikevisceglia.com/

6. +1 That's why I was sure to include 'a very good, skilled player' in my description of that tone.

I've always patterned my playing after guys like this... totally burning players that play accurately, cleanly, wonderful tone, and most importantly, they PLAY THE GIG. Wonderful... Michael Rhodes, Will Lee, Nathan East... all those cats. You would never know the chops they have when performing in this sort of context, and it takes a pro to apply that high level of playing to a pop performance, and give it perfect groove, perfect time, perfect tone... and no nooldin':bassist:

7. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I remember when this clip aired and really enjoyed it. I hear a lot of compressor in the sound he's getting. A good J-bass, doesn't have to be a Lakland, and a good compressor would get you about as close as the gear will take you, imo.

/rick

8. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I agree totally with the control, talent and professionalism in these types of performances and players. My goal in this instrument really. I am also interested in the eq settings he may be using - that full bodied, defined and clear top and bottom is really nice. It seems to me I have trouble with that fine line of smoothing out the top without muddying up the bottom. It is like the bedroom tone in a big rig :)

10. Seriously, a large part of that tone is the impact of favoring the bridge pickup and playing with authority a bit closer to the bridge. Favoring the bridge pickup (just enough to bring up those fat low mids and growl without getting a ton of single coil buzz) is really a sweet spot in a J bass tone, and very naturally rolls off the boom and boosts up the low mid punch and growl. Combine that with moving your hand back toward the bridge, and it is a very cool tone in a mix.

This sort of thing is most effective (IMO) with a J Bass with 60's pickup position, since having the bridge pickup a little further away from the bridge results in a fuller and fatter tone than the more trebly response of the 70's bridge position.

IMO and IME. It's not really about the rig or turning knobs, but rather the pickup balance, right hand technique, and secondarily a nice J bass with 60's pickup position.

Here is a simple little clip of my 60's oriented J bass. At the start, I have both pickups dimed. In the middle, I roll back the neck pickup and play a little closer to the bridge. While the treble response if a bit brighter than the clip you posted (partially due to the fact that the clip is solo and 'naked' so you can hear every nuance, and I'm also playing out of a very 'modern sounding' rig), I think you can hear that sort of tight tone emerging just from the pickups being blended a bit to the bridge and hand position (or not!:D)

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=119013

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Wonderful!

I can approach the tone (but not the accuracy!) with my Fender CS '64 Jazz, Sadowsky flats, and a VT pedal with the lows boosted a bit and lots of drive.

I like the growl with just enough burp, really nice tone.

Great observations and descriptions as usual, KJung.

12. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Hey thanks for the link - my work computer will not play it but I will listen tonight. My current jazz is my first traditional, IE Fender, style jazz (after 20 years playing). I also just pulled the active pre out and went all passive so I am learning all the sweet spots so far. Love the tone though. On another note, when shopping for 60's style J's how does one differentiate them from the 70's models? Other than knowing that visual bridge placement when seen.

13. AN4E

AN4E Guest

Apr 2, 2009
    Man im loving that lakland! I wish i could get that tone! Those PRS hollow bodies get a killer tone too!

14. That's it... and, most are alder with a rosewood board, which is also part of that vibe IMO.