Lakland Update 55-02 fixed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Heavy_E, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    In a past I posted that I was having trouble with my Lakland 55-02... I would play it and the volume would totally cut out...

I sent my Bass to Lakland after talking Dan about the problem. Once they got it their one of their techs diagnosed the problem as some bass electronics... the volume "pot" specifically.

Dan called me at home and said it had been fixed and that they were going to do a complete "setup" as I requested. New strings and the whole works. I was stoked!!!

Now that is service!!!

I am waiting for the brown truck to roll up any time with my bass...
  2. Thats awsome, gotta love good customer service, especially gettin your instrument set up by the guy who builds em.
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    jeez, everytime I hear a story about Dan and/or Lakland customer service, it makes me want one even more.
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Lakland customer service pwns!

5. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    "Brown" showed up yesterday... wOOt!!!

Check this out... I open my case and my 55-02 looks different. I start inspecting it and realize that the the fretboard is new. I check the serial numbers and it is a different serial number. It looks like Lakland not only fixed the electronics but replaced the the fretboard/tuners, etc. It plays great. The action is lower which I like. The tone is totally different. I guess the electronics were really screwed up. It is going to take some time to get the eq "locked in".

I emailed Dan and once he responds I will let you know.
  6. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Not the first time Dan & Company have done additional good things to a bass that's come back to them.

Somewhere there is a thread/poll on "Best Bass Companies". It has about 3 gazillion pages so I haven't looked at it, but if Lakland isn't way up near the top, so much for scientific accuracy in TB polls.
  7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Excellent! This is exactly why Lakland basses are such a great value. Not only do you get a great instrument, but you get a company that really stands behind their instruments.

Hats off to Dan.
  8. Wow that's really amazing!
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That is totally my experience with Lakland, even though I own a Korean 55-02 "P.O.S."

I emailed them about replacing the knobs and none other than Dan got back to me within a few hours about the shaft size.

IMO, Dan Lakin and his company are a business model that the rest of US business better consider. I'd buy another Lakland in a heartbeat, based on the experience.
  10. Although I don't own a Lakland (yet), I've emailed Dan with questions and he's gotten back to me pronto. What a class act this outfit is.

Lakland is the cat's pajamas and the bee's knees.
  11. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Hey Guys...

I got an email from Dan last night and he said that during the "setup phase" after redoing the strings and the bridge they could not get the old fretboard "filed down" enough. It was some kind of defect and they decided to change the board out. The action is a lot lower.

So cool...

You cannot go wrong with buying a Lakland.
  12. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    About a week ago, I had one of my 55-02's die on me. I e-mailed Dan Lakin at midnight the night it died. He called me personally at 10:00am (PST) to apologize for the the bass failing on me during a gig and wanted to discuss with me the way he could remedy the situation. I described the problems to him over the phone and explained to him that I had already replaced the battery, tried it in passive mode...etc and we both agreed it sounded like something was wrong with the electronics. Dan suggested instead of having me pay money to send my bass out to Chicago, I go to my neighboring city where the Bartolini Shop is. The Bartolini's don't usually take outside people and you know how they are about e-mail, so Dan Lakin called on my be-half and talked to Bill and Pat personally to ask them to "take care of me". Well this morning I was greeted by Bill and Pat like I was a star. They are so incredibly nice and within 10 minutes my 55-02 Deluxe was of charge. All I have to say is that both Lakland Bass Guitars and Bartolini have won me over by going the extra mile. You got a customer for life. Oh and Bill and Pat Bartolini are the cutest pair in the world...really sweet.

13. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I love reading great Lakland stories like this...
  14. I can testify to that! Dan Lakin and Company are top notch cream of the crop! I've know the fellas for going on ten years and have visited the shop many times. I have been treated like and "old friend." They make fabulous instruments and the customer service speaks for itself. Dan definately loves the bass guitar.
  15. dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    I had the same thing happen with my volume pot. He offered for me to send it in too, but I just had him send me a new pot and I installed it myself. If I would have know it came with a free set up or fretboard upgrade....hum I may be thinking sabatage.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dan Lakin is an amazing guy. He is #1 in customer service. Kudos to Bartolini for helping you out too.