Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland US Vs Skyline Series...Are U ready for the RuuumbLlllllllle!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by larrytron, Jun 23, 2003.

1. It might be already said but I' haven't found all the answers on this forum.
    Except graphite reinforcements, and better woods what are really the differences between a US Lakland 55 and a Skyline 55? Do they worth a so important difference in price?
    thx for your answers...:bassist:

2. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    those skylines are great, I own a 5501, I m very happy with it, much more than I can tell!

I tried the darryl jones last week, its amazing, a very solid feeling great sounding bass...A friend of mine who owns 3 foderas is currently usinig that darryl jones skyline!!!!....

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've tried both in the Bass Centre in London and I can appreciate the question - my answer, is that I bought a 55-02 Deluxe!! ;)

So - the point is that, the US Laklands I tried were great basses - but at well over £3,000, they were just too over-priced...I could get better basses for similar money and couldn't really justify the expense.

But at just over £1,100 - the Deluxe 55-02 is a great bass and an even better bargain - I bought one straight after trying it!!

So - there are differences with the US made basses - but no way are these differences worth £2,000!!! (nearly $3k) :eek:

4. I git my 55-94 Deluxe at a substantial discount as it had been sitting unsold at Guitar Center for some time due to the high price tag. I paid $1500 US for it if I recall rightly (might have been $1599). I'm thrilled with it. Although the Skylines are pretty damn good on a consistent basis, I have yet to hear anyone who claims that they are actually better. This is about the finest bass I have had the pleasure of playing and I certainly feel that I got an excellent deal. I would look around for a deal on a demo or a used USA Lakland as an alternative to buying a new Korean one. Apart from the quartersawn and graphite-reinforced neck, the lighter weight (consistently so; Skylines fluctuate in weight a lot more), noticably more solid feel and generally higher level of finish (including the famously tight neck pocket, a truly superior fret job, better tuners (Korean "Hipshot licensed" being not quite as good as real Hipshots)a somewhat larger radius on the body's edge and a more complex contour at the back of the headstock) and finally what seems to be a nicer wood than is usual on the Skylines are all things that I consider to be worth noting when deciding between the two sorts of Lakland. Also, when deciding between a new Skyline or a used USA model, remember that most people are going to be pretty ginger with their new $3000+ bass, so most used Laklands tend to be in good shape. Besides, as I demonstrate, there are great deals on non-used USA Laklands out there too. All this being said, if I was faced with a choice of paying full retail for either instrument that it would be indeed difficult to justify the cost difference. Also, I may yet buy a 55-02 for touring purposes, simply because of the diminished fear of loss or damage.

5. Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answers.
    A demo(or a used)US instrument looks like to be a great deal.
    That's probably what I would look for.But Lakland is not alone on the market:rolleyes:

6. Almost forgot -- the USA Laklands have a far superior shielding job in the electronics cutout. It's one of the most complete copper foil linings that I've seen, and there are nice brass inserts for the screws (actually very small bolts) to thread into. The Skylines use a black shielding paint, and the screws bite directly into the wood. Also, the dots on the neck are birdseye maple, and the fingerboard is a nicer piece of rosewood. The hardware looks a bit nicer in general as well. Fairly small differences, but I felt they should be noted.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the point is that we are talking about buying Lkalands in Europe here - so OK it would be great to score a used USA model, but the chances are very ,very slim!!

I've only seen a handful of new ones in the UK and I have never seen a used one, despite checking as many UK shops as I can, over the last 3 or 4 years.

The differences mentioned make very little - maybe no - difference to me as a player, although I can appreciate that they are real. The point is though, in Europe the USA models are prohibitively expensive while the Skylines are reasonably priced and readily avilable now.

So, for example - the shielding may well be different - but the Skylines I have tried are not noisy at all - I have used mine in several gigs now and it has been exceptionally quiet!

So - from my point of view, I am not going to pay an extra $2-3k just for better fingerboard dots, screws or improved shielding etc.