Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland USA vs Lakland Korean

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Tried some Laklands yesterday and the Great Question arises of buying Korean for 900 vs USA made for 2000.
    I was looking at the Bob Glaub & the Skyline 44-02 Deluxe
    Lakland users... Korean vs American?

2. I think there's not much doubt that the American's are incredible... The Korean Laklands are great, but in my experience, the American's are out of this world. The Americans play extremely well, sound great, and look amazing.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I had a Skyline Joe Osborn and loved the playability and sound. The reason I sold it was because of it's weight. I never weighed it but I guarantee it was at least 14 pounds... i'm not joking. I took it off the wall, sat down and played it for a while and hung it back up. A few days later my lovely girlfriend surprised me with it. Had it for close to 2 years but couldn't get used to the weight. :crying:
    As far as comparing it to the USA version, i'm sorry but i've never played a US Osborn.

4. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I have a Skyline 44-02 Deluxe. The difference between a U.S.-made and the Skylines seems to be the wood selection and the finish. The guts are the same and the sound is very similar, IMHO. I like my Skyline, especially for the price. The sound is incredible. But if I had the money, I would purchase a U.S. model over a Skyline because I am a little pickier about finish than maybe I should be. Make sense? Good luck in your search!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My main gigging bass is a 55-94 Deluxe. It is superb in every way. I played a 55-02 at NAMM 2003, and was amazed at how close it was in fit, finish, tone and playability to the 55-94. Definitely a great bass. If I were to buy another Lakland, it'd be an American one, but if I didn't have the money for it, I wouldn't think twice about buying the Korean version.

6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I have a USA Glaub. It's pretty amazing. The tone, feel, and yes, weight are all perfect. However, another gentleman well known for selling Laklands says that a Skyline is 80% of the bass for 50% of the price. So it all comes down to how much money you want to spend. The differences in wood, finishing quality (frets, etc.) are worth it (to me) if you have the money. Lakland USA are among the best basses made anywhere.

7. jefframm

jefframm Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Atlanta
    I've got a 55-94 "classic" (meaning alder body and rosewood fb), and Skyline 44-02 CAR w/ rw, Hollowbody in CAR, and a Joe Osborn 5.

The 55-94 definitely has a better "feel" and is lighter than both of the 55-02's that I've tried. My 44-02 and JO5 are actually both pretty light. I think the Skylines vary a decent amount in weight, but some are as light as their US brothers in my experience. I've not played a US JO5, but my Skyline JO5 and my 55-94 weigh about the same amount.

I have noticed some VERY minor fit and finish differences, with things like tuner alignment, but the korean made Lakie's are great players, and much better than anything else I've played that was made in Korea. Dan's set-up, parts install, and fretwork are done here on all his basses and I think it really shows. His "hybrid" Korea / US approach seems to make a significant difference.

The one thing I would change is the finish on the back of the neck of the Skylines. The US models have the oil finish, which I much prefer to the "sprayed" finish on the skylines. I think Lakland will change the finish for you for $100 or so on the Skylines, but I didn't know that until after getting mine.

My guess is that if you had the oil finish neck on the Skyline and did a blind test between the 55-94 and 55-02 (as an example) that you would be very hard pressed to hear or feel a difference.

The other thing about Skylines is that they are a profitable product for Lakland (according to the article he did in Forbes last year), which allows them to stay in busiiness and keep building the US models. Something for everyone....

Peace,
    jeff

8. I just got a Skyline Glaub and all I have so say is it is one geat bass. If I had the money for an American Glaub, I would buy a skyline glaub and a skyline osborn, but that is just me.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm new to the Lakland family having just purchased a beautiful Skyline 55-01! I am extremely impressed with the features and sound of this bass! I believe the USA models do have different[better] woods, finishes and a graphite reinforced neck and the electronics are the same as on the 55-02 model. I will, at some point, get myself a USA 55-94. For the money, I believe you get the most bang for your buck in this price range. The only other brands and models that can compete are the Ibanez BTB1000 series, The G&L Tribute line and the MTD Kingstons/Hiers! But that's another thread!

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA

Hmmm.....i think i will try to research thing one a bit further as i love the oil finish on my Ray5 neck and am seriously considering a Skyline JO5 [rosewood board] as a companion to it.

That's all

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The necks on the USA's also have graphite bars where the Sky's don't.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    and slightly different hardware, and birdseye maple on the maple fingerboard models- and fewer finish choices.
    listen, there HAS to be a diffference, otherwise the US sales would stop- last time i spoke to Lakland, they were sold out of US basses. that says something. HOWEVER, the Skylines are DAMN close and a Godsend to those who want that Lakland sound and do not have the means to buy US-

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Best bass I ever played! Well there was this Modulus back in.......................... :D I'm glad I bit the bullet on mine!

14. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Budget limitations force you to choose...

1. USA 44-94
    OR
    2. Skyline 44-02 deluxe & Korean Bob Glaub

I'm leaning towards the 2 Laklands

What do you do?

Designing your own dream Lakland... Wood choice for tone...
    Body: Alder or Ash
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, Maple, Ebony

I'm leaning towards low end wood... Alder & Rosewood :bassist:

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    From those I've played, if I had to get two basses, I'd opt for choice 2. Otherwise, I'd go for choice 1.

16. ALL Laklands are made with love. I've been fortunate enough to have all USA models, and my current keeper is a USA Joe Osborn 4 sting. I've done a lot of changing gear in the past few years and my tastes have changed some and back and fouth, but you cannot go wrong with a USA Lakland. The Skylines I've tried are well worth the cost, not to mention the customer service. If you can afford a USA I don't think you'll regret having just one bass. If you really need two then the two Skylines will serve you well. Don't forget, if you end up not that happy resale can be a painful.

17. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Why are the Alder body Laklands so rare? I cant find one in New england right now! They are all ash! Why the discrepency between wood choice, there has to be a reason somewhere!

18. For the -94's, the standard wood is ash, and the alder-body model is called the 55-94 Classic and only comes in solid-color finishes. The JOs and Gluabs come in either wood, but the alder ones are only solid colors, I think. All Skylines are ash--there are no alder ones.

Mike