1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland USA vs Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by USAJO, Jun 26, 2012.

1. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    I owned a Lakland USA JO ( Joe Osborn Jazz ) and it was the most incredible bass I've ever played. The neck was butter. Unfortunately I had to sell it several years ago. I can no longer afford the USA model ( not even a used one like my other one )

I have seen several Skyline JO's on line and I was wondering if the neck would be similar to the US version or is there quite a difference ?

I'll go with a Fender 62 RI unless the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn neck is believed to be close to the US version.

Anyone play both models ?

2. I've owned 4 or 5 skylines and 3 USA's and they've all been fantastic! I would not hesitate to buy a skyline. The necks on them are great. You can tell a difference between them, but I still would take the skyline necks over any US fender at my local music store. (not dissing on fender, just haven't found the one)

3. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks, I'll do more looking into them. I was very impressed with Lakland.

your quote lol. I used to visit here years ago and just returned.
    I remember JimmyM as a Markbass zealot. You mean he switched to Ampeg?

I still use my Eden WT400 I've owned since 2004. No problems yet. Eden used to take a bashing here on TB.

I guess the world has marched on.

4. ReBass

ReBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I'm going to take the opposite (and probably unpopular) opinion. I can't speak to the JO basses, but I've played and owned both versions of the Glaub signature basses. I love my US Glaub and honestly couldn't stand the Skyline version. The neck on the Skyline was fine, but the bass as a whole felt very cheap and insubstantial.

I haven't owned the '62 RI, but I've played a number of them and have liked them quite a bit. I'd easily choose one over any of the Skylines that I've played.

Just my $.02.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    +1

Lakland are IMHO way too expensive in general

But if Chicago, IL, Laklands are flawless and astonishing (and I only happened to try out 55-94 played by Doug Boduch), CII Skylines, very pricey, always lack (I'm ironic here) soundwise in more than something (I'm serious here) I just couldn't name.

My €. 0,02

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I don't know the answer to your question but the Lakland Owners' Group thread is the place to ask it. I know my 55-76 (about 10 yrs old) neck profile is nothing like a new 5501 profile.

7. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    I had a Skyline 55-01 for a while. I really wanted a P or J 5 string but thought I'd try a cheaper option. Unfortunately, I couldn't grow to love it and it did have some wiring problems surprisingly. It lacked gig to gig tone consistency and it also weighed too much - 12lbs.
    So I sent it back and got what I was really after - MIA Fender Jazz V. Better neck and much lighter and rock solid dependable tone.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I'd wish I could've done the same...

When I traded my Skyline 44-01, just couldn't afford no American Standard Jazz. And I don't yet:crying:

View attachment 274878

A dream that won't come true

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I have a 1998 USA JO and a 2004 Skyline JO.
    They are different animals. The US JO is more substantial and sounds much better acoustically. Amplified, they sound very similar. The woods on the US model are superior, and the necks feel somewhat different. However, I actually prefer the Skyline neck.
    The Skyline is over a pound lighter than the US model, 8.2 vs 9.4, but I understand that is unusual. The Skyline gets played out more, the US played more at home.

attachment.

attachment.

attachment.

attachment.

10. I had a Lakland Skyline before purchasing my USA Lakland.
    The Skyline is a great bass for the money.
    It weighed just as light as the USA Lakland, similar feel, great neck, etc.
    Of course the USA Lakland is better but the Skyline is still pretty damn good.

11. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    the new skyline neck profiles are different, slightly chunkier. i have an '04 jo5 and an '04 5501. i recently picked up a new neck with a maple board ('cos i like maple and the jo came w/rosewood) so i have 'em side by side. i called lakland to ask about it and was told that the profile was different. i haven't played a new usa lakland recently so i can't say if those necks are different too. i do think that korean skyline and usa 5ers have virtually the same neck profile.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Skylines are great, pretty much equal or better compared to USA Fenders.

13. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Just a cautionary note: While you can no doubt trust the information provided here in responses to your post, there may be variability in the two classes of basses (US and Skyline) which may make extrapolation unpredictable. I.e. there is no substitution for actually playing the basses you are considering purchasing. You might want to try to get to a bass shop that has both the Laky and the Fender and try them side by side, or get your hands on both at the same time with a return policy so you can keep the one you prefer.

Jim

14. I just got my first Lakland today, a Skyline DJ-4. So far it blows my Fender American deluxe jazz out of the water in playability. Great tone as well! This is one seriously good bass!

[​IMG]

15. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    My Lakland Skyline 55-02's playability is absolutely ridiculous. A dream come true.

16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I would agree...I have both a US and Skyline JO5. The Skyline JO5 was supposed to be a "temporary bass" unitl the US version showed up.

however, afater playing it for several months I could not sell it.

I have since changed out the neck for a fretless neck (Indonesian) and love it.

The neck profiles on BOTH US and Skyline are the same....the quality on my JO5 (Korean) is excellent.

I would say go for it....

17. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    I appreciate all of the responses. I have owned a 62 RI and a USA Lakland JO. I need to as suggested find a Skyline JO to try out in person if possible. There seems to be as expected a variety of opinions. I do know that a bass weighing much more than 10 lbs is not a good fit for me.

18. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    good luck!

let us know what happens.