Lakland used by...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RacingBeat, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Switchfoot?
    That's right! I just saw the "Stars" music video and spotted a black Lakland 4-94 with a white pickguard!

In the early part oft he video, i saw the lakland style pickguard and though... IS THAT A LAKLAND?

and since the video only shows about 3 seconds of the bassist :oops: , i wasn't sure. But in the end of the video, there was one second of Tim and his(or whoever's) black 4-94. What gave it away was the circular bridge.

It's great to see Laklands on TV!

Dale, maybe it's something to update for the Lakland website?

okay, after further inspection, the bass could be CAR or shoreline Gold. The video is really dark overall.
    but cool nevertheless.

Laklands ROCK!
    (owner of a 55-01 NTMB-L)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think i read somewhereit was shoreline gold but im not certain.
  3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    The bass player for Papa Roach plays Laklands too. I think a JO5 and a DJ 4/5
  4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The bassist for Drowning Pool plays and or played a 55-94 :). I want one so bad, I'll take the whole line up. Even the hollow body, they're all freaking fantastic. As soon as gas prices go down and I save up enough $$ I'll be purchasing a 55-02, 44-02, 44-94, or 55-94. All depending on whats got the best price.
  5. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I downloaded the "Stars" video by Switchfoot from their website. I would love to put them up on the Lakland site, but the video is so dark that a screencap would be nigh impossible. Also, after doing a web search, the only photos I've found of the bass player are him playing... another company's bass. If you or someone associated with the band can get me a nice photo of him playing his Lakland onstage, I'd be happy to run it - with credit, of course.

Meanwhile, I can add him to the Artists page that I'm busy completely revamping.

I've got info about Stevie Benton of Drowning Pool playing a 4-94. Wasn't aware he has a 55-94 also. That's cool.

The bassist for Papa Roach is Tobin Esperance and he owns several Laklands. Attached is a photo of him with Dan at the Lakland factory.

Attached Files:

6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, there's a Lakland I'd like to get my hands on. Well, that and the Bob Glaub.
  7. Bates

Aug 10, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Ryan Stasik of Umphrey's McGee normally plays a Lakland...
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    RacingBeat.. are you an RX-7 fan?
  9. big time. rotaries rule the world, next to basses, that is.
  10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana

Some guy with Bono playing a custom Darryl Jones. :smug:
  11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    They are simply the best. I now own 3 USA's. True workhorses!
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If I remember correctly, I saw Switchfoot on the Tonight Show accidentally a couple weeks ago (Jay Leno must die as he is a phony who screws over his friends to further himself but Conan rocks) and I'm pretty sure it was shoreline gold.

And you're right...the oval bridge does give the Lakland away. I know people dig Laklands and I do too, but I would never get one because of that doggone oval bridge. I look at those basses and wonder why there's a bathtub drain on them ;)
  13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I never understand this . . . it took me a long time to realize that the Laklands had the distinctive oval bridge, and even today, I have to specifically be looking for it to notice it. In general, I'm far more concerned with the number of strings, pickguard, headstock, fretboard material, etc. The shape of the bridge barely registers on my bass radar (bassdar???) :p

Is the oval bridge really that big of a deal, aesthetically speaking? :confused:
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would agree that it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but it is. It's a fine bridge. Nothing at all wrong with it. But it's oval in a rectangular world, and to me it looks like a drain ;)
  15. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    My bathtub drain is a circle - not an oval.

Learn to love the oval. Embrace it.
  16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Heres my #136 Black with Matching headstock. I bought it to sale, but this Lakland is beyond words, so it is now a personal bass!! I just had Dan make me a Black/white/black pickguard for it for the 60's Jazz matching headstock look. I had #9 I had bought to keep as well, but this Black lakland just smokes everything..... I am trying to pill #4, 34" 5 string out of a buddy of mine hands. He has #3 and #4 (both 5 string 34").

17. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    The Switchfoot bassist was supposed to have some kind of agreement with Musicman, but obviously it has not working out the way it was supposed to.
  18. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China

:D :D One of the best quotes....ever!

I had Lakland #19 and #76. 76 was nice, but I traded it for a Charles Cote bass....I actually got the better end of the stick on that one...Charles made some really excellent basses. However, #19 was a different story. It was a color that he hasn't done in YEARS...amberburst. Just a gorgeous color! It had a birdseye laquered board, the old 9W4J quad coil MM pickup, and it KILLED. By far, the best Lakland I've played or owned, and it had tone out the kazoo. I actually traded it to Dan for # 76. Dumb move. :scowl: I'd pay 3 grand to have that bass a heartbeat. If anyone here knows where it is, you MUST PM me! I'll even pay you a finder's fee!
  19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    The 38 Special bassist uses a pair of white Laklands.
  20. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Actually the LAKLAND bridge is in my opinion the coolest bridge there is!