Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland vs. G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quizzo515, May 13, 2003.

Lakland Skyline or G&L Tribute

Poll closed Jul 12, 2003.
  1. Lakland Skyline

28 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. G&L Tribute

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Ok here's the deal. I have been looking at a G&L Tribute l-2500 and a Lakeland Skyline. Which, if any do you own and what are your opinions on the two?

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I own a Skyline Joe Osborn jazz and absolutely love it. The sound is to die for, the finish is flawless, and it plays as well as any American bass i've played. I didn't vote in this poll because I haven't had a chance to play the G&L yet, though I would love to (i've seen the Tribute guitars but no basses yet). The only complaint I have against my Lakland is it's one heavy SOB.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    The Skyline has a better reputation around here, but that is partly because the Tribute is much newer.

4. Which Skyline are you comparing it with 5501 or 5502?

5. If the Skylines and Tributes are comparable to their U.S. counterparts, I would go with the Skyline. Both will have a lot of tone options but I'm a fan of Lakland's wider spacing.

6. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    Skyline 55-02!!!!!!! :D

7. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I have not received my Skyline 55-01, but I will tell you what really sold me on the Skyline series. On the headstock it says Lakland. It does not say Tribute, Epiphone, Squire or whatever.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    to be honest on the headstocks i read:

G&L tribute
    Lakland Skyline
    Fender Squier
    Gibson Epiphone-

and if you buy a bass only for the name on the head, you are out of the right way.

9. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Beg to disagree. I am looking at the Lakland Skyline catalog, and the first thing that I see on the headstok is Lakland. The other basses I referred to say Squire, Epiphone, Tribute, with by Fender, Gibson or G&L in a smaller font.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not knocking any manufacturer, and those of you that have read my posts know that I do not buy my gear based solely on the name.

What I am saying is that when I look at the headstock, and the first thing that I see company name, versus Skyline by Lakland, that impresses me. The way I figure it, if the folks at Lakland take enough pride and confidence in their product to stamp their company name on it, maybe it's just a little bit better.

But please, don't take my word for it. Go to take a look at the Lakland web site for yourself.

10. ive owned 4 g&ls:
    -older sb-1 (old but not pre-lawsuit): sounded pretty good for a passive bass
    -l2000: sounded pretty good but not all that it was cracked up to be... people said that the l2000 was like a musicman with 2 mm pickups... not accurate at all... it sounded pretty good but it wasnt that great... definately the best g&l ive owned though
    -new sb-1: sounded pretty crappy to be honest but boy was it pretty with a metallic blue paint job
    -old prelawsuit sb-2 (2 j pickups... the only one i still own): its an ok bass... nothing really great but it has its own charm

what im getting at is that g&l basses are just ok... the attraction to me is the old school soul that they have... i make up better basslines on my g&l than i do on my better sounding/more expensive spector... so if the usa g&ls are only pretty decent basses then the korean ones cant be that great... certainly not better than a lakland... ive heard a lot of good things about the 55-01 where as the 44-01 doesnt seem to garnish such great reviews but id probably take one over a g&l anyway (then again ive never played a lakland)... just my $0.02

11. My one beef with the Skylines is that they are not mid-priced instruments, by any stretch of the imagination. £900 = expensive, not mid priced.

Something like an MTD Kingston or a G&L Tribute would be mid-priced.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It shouldn't matter what's written on the headstock. What should matter how well the bass played/sounds/feels. I've played a few Squier's that were alot better then USA Fenders that cost 10x as much.

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I've owned ALOT of G&L's & my opinion is much different.
    I've owned:

2 L-2000 (still own one)
    2 L-5500's
    2 L-2500's
    1 ASAT BAss
    1 SB-2
    1 L-5000

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong but I feel that the USA G&L are the best non-custom made bass on the market. My experience is that they KILL Fenders & are better then G&L's. The only one I didn't like was the L-5000 which was a 5 string P bass with a SUPER NARROW neck.

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I've also owned a SkyLine 55-01. Both basses sound great. Personally, I liked the playability of the SkyLine more. The neck is wider then the L-2500 & for me it was more comfortable. The L-2500 is a tone monster. IME, you can get a very good P bass sound, J bass sound & Stingray Sound & pretty much everything in between. The LAkland was not as versitle but it had some good sounds in her.

Any way, you'll end up with a good bass. Personally, I'd keep an eye on eBay for a USA G&L. I've seen a few sell at unbelievable prices.

15. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I would choose the Skyline over a tribute, but I'd choose a "real" G&L over a skyline.

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Would you choose a "real" Lakland over a "real" G&L . :meh: :D

17. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    any day of the week... :p

P@

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Both these basse to me have common aspects.

They are intended to mimic the sound of the great creations of Mr Leo Fender and Mr George Fullerton, the Fender Jazz and Precision and the MusicMan Stingray bass.

Lakland and G&L (which, by the way was created by Leo and George) use really different pickups and electronics to achieve this goal.

Said that i would characterize the Lakland more modern sounding and the G&L more aggressive.

i personally prefer the G&L, but i am sure that you'll be able to find which one you like the best when you'll try them.

i think that those basses sound really really different.

19. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    With all due respect, this person is missing my point. Whereas I agree that the ultimate criteria should be the overall quality of the instrument, IMO it says a lot for the bass in question if the manufacturer actually places their name on the headstock.

Conklin for example makes basses that sell for less that a grand, and these basses are not marketed as some diet brand.

I chose my Lakland 55-01 because of a number of reason besides the fact that it says Lakland on the headstock. It came with all the specs that I was looking for. Specifically:
    a 35" scale maple neck
    maple fretboard
    through the body stringing
    Bartolini Mk-1 pre-amp
    Bartolini soapbar pups
    Hipshot cloverleaf tuners
    pre-amp bypass switch to go passive
    a great price ($700)
    I am getting everything that I wanted at a price that I could afford.

So there you are folks. It's not just a question of what it says on the headstock. Even so, if I could make a comparison. If you had 20 Gs to spend on a car, and you had a choice between a 20G Mercedes and 20G Nissan, what would you pick?

20. space4

space4

May 24, 2003
    california
    Hi, I'm also looking at the lakland skyline 55-01 about $700. This one is made in Korea. Are the ones made in Korea still a good bass, and do they stay in tune? I need some advice please.

thank you.