lakland VS geddy VS custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Oct 20, 2004.

1. i have these options

lakland skyline 44-01

fender geddy lee jazz

use my current bass fender fretless jazz (mexi) get a warmoth neck, hipshot ultralights, and a badass bridge.

i play blues/rock and am wanting a different bass beacuse i want frets.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Lakland all the way

3. have you played the 44-01 befor? if so, did you get a good blues tone out of it?
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I've only fiddled around with them in stores, but from the short sessions I had with it, I would certainly say it's very easy gotten, especially with small EQ adjustments. I also liked how it felt, which is something of a rarity with me. I'd say try it though, obviously, and make your own decision on it.

5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I would recommend going to some stores and playing your first two options ad nauseum. Decide which you really would like. I LOVE my Geddy. The neck is the sweetest I've played. (Although the Cirrus neck profile is a very close second.) I've seen and heard many Lakland 44-01's, but never had a chance to test one out properly. From all that I've heard (about them and from them) they are a great bass as well.

I also like the Warmoth option (have assembled about 5 basses from Warmoth parts.), but it is the most hassle , and you wont save very much money. You are also not guaranteed a good installation/setup, unless you are very confident and competent in these areas.

In my case, I'd go Lakland... because I already have both your other options covered.

Good Luck.
  6. out of what you've go the geddy lee.....that way if you switch between the fretted and fretless, theres no signifigant change in tone...or feel of the the jazz would sound better IMO
  7. Also check out the Lakland Darryl jones, a great Jazz Bass alternative... :bassist:
  8. i am not a fan of the -01 laklands. i never got a sound that felt as comfortable as the -02 and -94 basses. my choice would be for a geddy lee. and if i were playing the blues, i'd string it BEAD and roll the tone knob back. let's all be thankful i'm not playing the blues.

9. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    GO LAKLAND BUT I would go Joe Osborne Jazz
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Played a Geddy for the second time today. The first time i played it i was impressed but not a lot.. today i really liked it. I think last time it was setup poorly but today it played very nicely. The neck is quite comfortable and it sounds just amazing.
  11. well i played the 55-01 at a music store today, and the quality of those basses is just amazing! i have never owned a 5 string bass in my life, so it was a bit hard playing it (being used a 4 string and all) but i dont think i liked it, im not used to active controls either so i had a hard time figuring out what all the knobs did. there was just something i didnt like about it, and i think the sound wasnt for me coming out of the pickups, so that rules out lakland.

i did get to try the geddy lee jazz bass out and well, WOW, it felt amzing and the sound, well i think it was the best sound i have heard in my life! it did sound great, i picked it up and it just spoke to me. but sadly some dude bought the bass for his 9 year old son that didnt know how to play worth crap, so i was somewhat pissed but another bass will come, maybe.

i think i may try the custom thing, i love the way my bass sounds now, i just hate the neck, so i think i am going to get a warmtoh maple/maple neck with hipshot ultra light tuners, and a badass bridge, my bass would look really retro though, agave blue, witha red and black tort picguard and a maple/maple neck, ha i can see it now.
  12. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    The Jazz out of your spoken choices, hands down! But, if $ is a bit more plentiful in the near future, wait and try the ultimate original. G&L You can thank me later........
  13. You can try ordering a Geddy from the store. You'll get it in a few weeks. You can even buy it online. I'd suggest the Geddy over the Lakland, just because I'm a pretty traditional Fender player, and you're probably used to your MIM and would like it better. The Lakland 55-94s are incredible instruments, and the 55-02's aren't too bad. But the -01's don't sound as good as the -02's, and combined with your ease of playing on a Jazz (and the Geddy's nice neck) the Ged will definitely be a better choice, unless you really want a 5 string or want more of a different feel or sound. G&L's are a good choice, too, but their necks never felt exactly Jazz-like to me. A bit chunkier maybe, try em out. Some of them are just great.