Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland vs. MTD shootout at Bass emporium!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Feb 15, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Just got back from Bass Emporium in Austin, Tx. It's a nice place, and John is as cool and helpful as they come.
    I went there specifically to find a replacement for my Yamaha BBG5S, not because the sound or feel is terrible, but it just makes to much noise for me. (John thought it was RF noise)

The bass I had the highest hopes for was the MTD Heir. The price was right, and the sound was great, but the single coil in the neck was even noisier than my yamaha. To get it to an acceptable level, I had to almost solo the bridge pickup, and if i'm going to do that, I might as well get a Kingston, but I like the fullness of tone of the heir. If I find out a bart humbucker can be dropped into the Heir, I may still get it as soon as the new color is available.

THe next bass I tried was the lakland 55-01. THe bass was DEAD quiet, but the sound wasnt much improvement over my Yamaha, which means the Lakland is not as good as advertised, or the yamaha is much better than most people think. If you have experience with either, I'll let you decide which.

The last bass was the one that made my heart race, and my wife, who was in attendance, sit up and take notice. It was the Lakland 55-02. From the very First note, I could tell I was not holding a 55-01. It had a stingray tone, with even more clarity in the low range. The stingray slaps maybe a bit better, but overall I would put the lakland and the stingray in a dead heat for overall tone. Both are quiet, and well crafted, I'll have a very hard time deciding between the two when I am ready to buy a new one.

I also played a ken smith, a Zon, and a couple of others that caught my eye, but the clear winner for a mix of price and the sound I was looking for was the lakland 55-02.
    You want to know the best thing? My wife could hear the clear difference between the lakland and my Yamaha, so even though we are expecting our second child, she is talking in terms of "when" we get the new bass and not "if" we get it.

I love my wife!!!!!!!

If you are in the Austin area go see John at Bass emporium. You won't regret it.
    I have some pictures, I'll post them when I get back to Mesquite.

Mark

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Cool!! I'm glad you found the one that you were looking for!:bassist:
    Sounds like you've got a keeper too in that woman of yours. When I was married, divorce was final in Dec., my wife freaked out over me spending $300 on a MIM Jazz:rolleyes: I think the biggest reason that i've been out of control buying basses lately is because... I CAN!!!;)
    Hope you get that bass, and congrats on the soon to be new addition to your family. I've got 2 incredible little rugrats myself:)

3. Tubass - what is the new color coming out for the MTD Heir?

I'll second the comment about Austin's Bass Emporium - John remembers just about everyone who comes in and is great guy to deal with.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    THe new color is a dark cherry burst. Nobody, including Michael tobias, has seen one yet, and nobody seems to know when it will actually hit the street.

I went back and played the Heir again, the sound was great on the top 4 strings, but I really thought the b string sounded a little blurry when slapped. A set of fat beams might help it, but who knows.

Right now I am exploring the question whether to get a bass that has the stingray tone I am looking for, or just get a stingray. For the same money, I would probab;y go for the stingray, especially if I could get the Black cherry burst, my favorite color.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You can typically drop the action on any Lakland way down if you want to. I just got a 55-02 and it is one serious piece of work. Slaps as easy as anything I own with frets. Congrats.

6. Bassy Davy

Bassy Davy Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I just discovered the Bass Emporium about 2 weeks ago. It's really cool to have a store that's just dedicated to bass. John's a great guy and Shannon the tech is very good at what he does.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Does John Still have that burl top Roscoe LG-3000 in there? It probably still has my drool on it. :) That's a fat bass. Hope you end up getting the one you want!

What setup were you demoing everything through? He's got so many nice ones in there!

brad cook

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    you mean this one?

[​IMG]

Yep, it's still there.

I was playing through a bergantino cab using a stewart world power amp and a demter pre-amp.
    Pretty sweet set up, it's no wonder I went back for more.

9. That is probably THE HOTTEST bass I have ever seen. I should sell some organ to get that piece. Dear Lord it's amazing.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah...sounds and plays fantastic as well. Man I wish I had the jack to buy that piece. I'd buy a Moses fretless neck for my Fodera NYC Empire and be set for life.

brad cook

11. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Just got back from Bass Emporium in Austin, Tx. It's a nice place, and John is as cool and helpful as they come.

John is Great to deal with. I purchased a 55-02 fretless from him. My next purchase will be from John as well. :cool:

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    here are a couple of pictures from the weekend.

me with a Veillette Mk-IV, very sweet , but the unlined fretboard kicked my butt.
    [​IMG]

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    the best thing I saw all weekend.
    [​IMG]