Lakland vs. Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Jan 18, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Is there any difference between these basses? I mean, they're both obviously fender knockoffs, and there is no uniqueness in there appearence. Do these basses have anything not in common, except the bridge?
  2. How is Lakland a fender knockoff? It doesnt even look like a Fender!
  3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Ever seen the Joe Osborn Sig., it is an exact copy of a fender j-bass, with a slightly different head, bridge and controls. There are a bunch of they're basses that look like fenders.
  4. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I have both US Lakland and US Sadowsky, my honest comparation is :

-Both are verywell made , fit and finish, Sadowsky finish quality just a bit better.
    -Both have a excellent playability, fast neck.
    -Lakland has more sound possibility than Sdowsky because of the coil switch.
    -I like Sadowsky sound more than Lakland, Sadowsky is more 'alive' to my ear, and sweeter.
    -Both have top class service.
    -Sadowsky has a better resale value.

Suggestion : try them , see which one you prefer.
  5. Well thats a sig model, when i think "lakland" i think this:
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The basses they're most well known for are the 55-94 style basses. Seen 'em?
  7. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    As a Sadowsky player myself, I have to say that I think the term "knockoff" is a poorly chosen word to describe both Sadowsky and Lakland basses. It implies a certain "slap-it-together-and jump-on-the-bandwagon" vibe that I just don't think captures the spirit of those instruments or the mindset of the men who build them.

Instead of "Fender knockoff" it might be more apt to say "Fender enhancement." Both Roger Sadowsky and Dan Lakin have simply taken a great idea and evolved it to a higher level.

And besides ... ALL electric basses are Fender "knockoffs" when you come right down to it.
  8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i dont see much of a difference in fit and finish in these two guitars. they both come with great fret jobs, tight neck joints and their both finished by pat wilkins and i doubt he paints rogers body's to any higher tolerance than dan's.
  9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I own or have owned both, theres no really which one is better.. It just depends on what your looking for... As far as quality and customer service, both are excellent... Try them both out if you can and see which one better suits your needs..
  10. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Laklands are great too..
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why do you ask? Is their one you're looking @ & are interested in? Or are you just looking to start a thread that has been done to death? :)

Me personally, I like Sadowsky's Alot better (duh:p) When I first played a Sadowsky, I knew it was "IT" for me. The sound, feel, playability was incredible. The bass was absolutly flawless.

I've played alot of USA Laklands & everything was great except I'm not too fond of the sound. I even own a Lakland SkyLine 44-02 & ave owned a SkyLine 55-01. Peersonally, I liked the sound of the 55-01 over the USA Models. But that's just me.
  12. Lakland makes some unquestionably great basses.

Sadowsky makes amazing instruments.

I personally prefer Sadowsky to the Laklands I have tried. It's subjective. The tone, playability, quality of fit and finish and worksmanship, their great sound live and in studio, customer service, etc, etc.

My 5th Sadowsky instrument should be ready next month. Clearly I have a fondness for his guitars and basses that I don't have for other manufacturer's. And I've tried and played a heck of a lot of gear.

There have been threads on this topic and you may want to do a search. Ultimately, the decision should depend on your hands and ears.
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    All of you guys are going about it wrong, so I'm willing to correct the problem. I need one of you to send me a Sadowsky, and I'll A/B it with my JO5 with the J Retro for a year, yes, I'm willing to invest the time.

Ya' think they bought it?
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't see it as "Sadowsky vs. Lakland" at all.

To me, it's "Sadowsky AND Lakland."

They don't don't imitate each other (they only compete by virtue of being high-end basses), each will get you specific, signature, tones, and neither plays like a Fender by a long shot!
  15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Now, does that mean that a Fender plays bad? :D ;)
  16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Yes!!!!! :eek: :p
  17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Excelently put!!!!!

Thier is alittle more competing now-a-days with the Joe Osborns J's & Bob Glab P's (sp?). But their both excellent at what they do!!!!
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey! Ease up on my Fenders Nino! :D ;)

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    All I can say is I went with Laklands and am no longer looking for "the bass" to play the rest of my life. I stopped looking, and spent the saved cash on a upgrade in pre amp. Oh, and I don't like Jazz basses, I'm a P-bass kinda guy. I require more pelvic thrust than a jazz (in my hands) can deliver..
  20. My first Sadowsky bass is a jazz model. The one coming up is a PJ4.