lakland vs warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xb100, Jul 11, 2005.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys, looking between a lakland 44-01 or a warwick standard corvette. Both basses are in my price range the lakland goes for around 680 and I can find a used stand corvette for around the same price I think.

The 2 basses I think are total ooposites, I wanna know what you guys think of the two.

I play rock/metal so I imagine both of em will do the job well. I also know both brands are fairly excepted aroung the TB community. What do you guys think??

-Rob :bassist:
  2. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Hmm, I don't know about finding a corvette used for that price.
    Yeah, I think it is sorta about the traditional vs. modern preference here, but I've never played lakland, so I can't really say. The modern Warwick sound seems like the natural way to go for rock/metal, though.
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yes, you can get a used Corvette for that price. Just look in the classifieds (or my sig) ;)

Anyway, I am a huge fan of both. I have 4 of each.

- Both are very well made basses, and can be versatile in tone.
    - Warwicks have that unique "warwick growl" that Laklands don't and probably never will. Strong mids and presence. Lakland has the more traditional Fender tones, but a little more depending on the electronics you get.
    - The necks are well made for both basses, but the Warwicks are stronger. Both are very stable though. Warwick necks are thicker, but not uncomfortable so. The fingerboards are flatter, which makes them great for slapping and tapping. Laklands have lovely necks, and they feel awesome. But they differ from a Warwick. A Lakland neck feels fast and slick. A Warwick feels solid, like a weapon.
    - Lakland has better fretwork, hands down. But, Warwick uses bell brass frets so you get a little more chime-like tone.
    - The bridges are completely different, and if you want the ability to tweak your action and string spacing to your heart's desire, a Warwick is for you. If you want a traditional tone and feel, then by all means a Lakland.
    - Lakland has more options in terms of electronics than Warwick does. Warwick will do MECs only, which tend to have modern voicings. Lakland will offer vintage voiced pickups like Lindy Fralins, or modern tones like Bartolini. The Bartolini preamps used in Laklands are hand down better than the MEC preamp that Warwick uses in my opinion. MEC pres can be noisy and harsh, while the Bart has been pretty clean for most of my applications. Although, it can sound boomy.

You're talking about my two favorite brands of basses, so I'll say you can't go wrong with either.
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    We're talking here about 2 excellent, but very different basses.

As a personal taste, I'd pretty much lean towards the Skyline, just because it seems to be to offer much wider tonal horizons.

5. +1

Some Warwicks are available with Seymour Duncan Basslines from the factory, instead of the MECs. My Corvette Standard 6 has this setup.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have both a Warwick Streamer LX4 and Lakland 55-94. Either brand would make an excellent choice. If you decide on a Warwick, try to find an older model with the all-wenge neck. Just my preference.

7. I definately suggest Warwick for the extra tone punch it gives. Ive heard from several people that the Lakland has more of a "polite" sound and the Warwick has more of an aggressive sound, almost made for your and my style of music.

I just hope someday soon I can afford a Corvette standard, I love them so much, everything about them, I can't seem to find one single negative about them, but then again, I love me a heavy ass bass guitar too.

best of luck.