Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland, Warwick and Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the captain, Aug 31, 2002.

1. lakland 4-94 deluxe

36 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. lakland duel J deluxe

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. warwick neck thru thumb

29 vote(s)
    28.7%
  4. roscoe

33 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    Tulsa,OK.
    if you had to choose between these 4 string basses and ONLY these 4 sting basses which would you choose? Lakland 4-94 deluxe, Lakland duel J deluxe, warwick neck thru thumb or a Roscoe ? and why?

2. Warwick. Strong, durable, sounds good, heavy, good looking, unique, did I mention heavy?

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If it was a Stage 1 or 2, I would've picked Warwick, but I chose Lakland. Those 4's kick!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Roscoe! Keith is an evil, evil man! :D

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I think Roscoes are in vogue around here these days.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Lakland and Roscoe- ive never been a big fan of Warwicks- sometimes they sound great when someone else is playing them- but i myself would take a Roscoe or Lakl over one -

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Roscoe, and they're not going to be going away like some fad. They're here to stay.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Shameless plug.....

You really ought to look into a Lakland Deluxe JJ. They make killer super J basses. Awesome fit and finish, easy playing neck, big sounding B string and great 3 band Bartolini preamp.

I know where there's one for sale. Email me.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Well...you mention the importance of balance in your sig file..."Thumb bass" and "balance" don't fit into the same sentence well...

;)

They do have a unique sound and look though.

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...if you only knew...

:D

I've never played one of his 4's, but the B string on his 5+'s are nothing short of astounding!

...like the one on the SKB 3007 that's spending the weekend with me right now...

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Keith is indeed and evil , evil man- look at what he's doing here!! and he's gonna force me to play this revolting thing!!
    [​IMG]

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Adrian -

STOP THAT!!!

...ever heard the term "enabler"????

;)

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tonya told me about that. It's a 7?:eek:

The basses in this poll are really apples/oranges type comparisons, but out of everything listed, I say Roscoe!

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yessir...yessir it is indeed a 7.

I'm still not sure I'm gonna keep it, kinda getting the feel of the whole 7 thingy...not sure it's for me. If I decide to pass, I will be ordering a 6 from him before the end of the year, amazing instruments.

For the record, this thing is incredibly beautiful, cocobolo top & matching headstock, spanish cedar body, killer spalted purpleheart fingerboard, and the requsite thundering Roscoe B string. :D

And yeah, this is an apples/oranges comparison, but they are all excellent choices.

15. Lakland 4-94 and Roscoe SKB-5. I have already voted with my wallet. I love em.

16. I 2nd that comment. I'm not a big warwicks fan. I have seen and heard the Lakland and Roscoe and I'll take the Roscoe any day.

17. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I have 3 Roscoes, and a Lakland. I've had 2 Warwicks and sold them both.

Roscoes = thundering tone, versatility, works of art.

The Lakland is versatile, but the thunder isn't there.

I really liked the Warwick Infinity, very versatile, great tone. The negatives were some neck dive and heavy weight, even though it was semi-hollow.

If the Roscoes were as light as the Lakland, I'd say they were perfect.

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    What kind of music do you use the thunder for? Is the Lakland thin an shallow sounding? I am wondering how that can be with a MM type pickup and 35" scale.

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    r - being in a cover band, we do MANY different styles from 60's to now, with an emphasis in rock. The Lakland isn't thin sounding (although I had a maple board version once that was), it sounds very good, in fact it was my standard until I got my first Roscoe. They just don't move as much air as Roscoe's, which probably isn't all that important to anyone but me. The "Pbass on steroids" is still a good analogy, the Lakland is more of a "Jass on steroids."

20. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Now you got me worried with a Lakland maple board on the way. Is there ever an end to all these nuances? Was the P-bass sound anywhere in the Lakland you once had?

:confused: