1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland...what can I expect?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DVJENS, Apr 9, 2015.

1. DVJENS

DVJENS

Feb 3, 2014
    Hi all. Just a quick question.

I have been playing cheap instruments for many years and last year decided rather than cycling through a bunch of cheap basses (and I have bought and sold many of them in the past couple years), I would save my money and invest in a couple good instruments instead. There are so many good instruments out there that are dirt cheap anymore it is ridiculous. Went through a lot of Squier models which are just sick in terms of the high quality you get for the price anymore.

But I got sort've tired of being a collector of basses and instead wanted to buy one or two basses that I would never want to swap out in the future. I have improved to the point where I want to settle on a couple of good quality instruments that I can grow with as I continue to work at this seriously and improve. A year ago, scored a magnificent Fender FSR P/J deluxe on an Ebay deal and love it to death. Will never part with it. It is more than enough instrument for me right now and if I ever get good enough that I am "too good" for it...well that will be a very proud day for me! :)

I saw a stupid-low price on Ebay for a Lakland Bass last night - a Lakland Skyline 44-64 Vintage P-bass on Ebay. It was on a one-day auction. Seller says it was for all intents brand new. 2015 model and comes with Lakland gig bag. Pictures seemed to bear this out as well - as much as you can see in pictures. I can't believe my luck. Black with white pickguard. Classy looking P-bass style bass guitar. Of course that is all I know about it. Seems everything I wanted in a bass. P-bass looks (and hopefully sound?) narrow Jazz style neck and great traditional looks. Been wanting a Lakland for the past year but couldn't see spending over $1000 one one. Saw this one with a low starting price. Took a shot at it at the last minute, just one a whim, thinking I had no chance with my stupidly low bid which I was not willing to increase. Just took a shot to see if I could get lucky. And lo and behold I was the winning bidder for a shade over $550!

Other than reading general Lakland reviews...almost all of them favorable and gushing over quality and performance of nearly anything Lakland....did I get a good deal? I think it is a stupid low price but what do you all think? Did I really get that lucky? And is the price really as good as I think for a bass that is being presented as new. And, since, I can't wait until the thing shows up on my doorstep....anyone with this particular instrument....can you tell me what I can expect? Am I going to be as thrilled with it as I think I am. I am so stoked about actually having a Lakland. Looking for that old-school p-bass sound but with a slimmer, easier to play neck than the usual Fender style p-bass. Sort've like the instrument I started out on....an '89 Peavey Fury that I stupidly sold last year and I would give anything to have back!!! Anyway, what do you all think. I'll give you my impressions when I get it but just wanting people to tell me that I done good...lol!

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I've never played one of those, but I can tell you that if it's in any kind of "new" condition, you sure did get a deal!

MattyH likes this.
  3. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    You're gonna get a great sounding P Bass. Waaaaay better than Fender IMO. And yes, you basically stole that instrument if it's new. Of course, when it comes, check out the serial number. The first 2 numbers are the year is was made, and the second 2 are the month. Even if it's a "new" 2007 it's a steal of a price.

The question is of course if the seller was honest and the bass is what they say. But, I cant say it's not possible. I scored a brand new, plastic and tags still on, Darryl Jones 5 string Lakland, HALF PRICE. Sure enough, it came, and it was prestine, mint, and perfect. The original Lakland packaging had been damaged when the store got it, so in their eyes, that warranted a 50% price cut. In my eyes, it was a deal I couldnt pass up.

Just one question. If you've wanted one, and you want to step up your bass game, why couldn't you see yourself spending over a thousand on a Lakland? Every one is worth every penny. Every $1000+ over seas Lakland I've played/owned, has been worlds better than any American Fender I've owned...

basspraiser likes this.
  4. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    This.

5. DVJENS

DVJENS

Feb 3, 2014
    Thanks for the info MattyH. To answer your question...I'm not a pro...I'm not in a band. Just basically trying to teach myself as a serious hobby in my house and see where it goes from there. I have one really great Fender bass that I will never give up and it is as good a bass as I am likely to need going well into the future. It was fairly expensive. Got it on Ebay again and got lucky...it was pristine and another great deal. I have a couple cheapies that I really love but play sparingly....SR300, Jackson JS3 (the Jackson is wayyyy underrated and is amazing). I know Laklands are worth the money....it was just that I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on one when I already have a bass that's more than good enough for me. Honestly, I was looking for a steal...saw a used Skyline 44-01 on Amazon earlier this week for $380. Balked at it because the description sounded a bit iffy. Went back a couple days later and it was gone. Then I saw this one. Again, just wanted to see if I could get a ridiculous deal and I may have succeeded. If I didn't have one mid/high level bass already I could easily see myself shelling out for a new Lakland. But was hoping to find the deal that I eventually did so I didn't feel guilty doing it! We'll see...hopefully it's everything this guy says it is. If not....I will cry!

6. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Gotcha. Makes sense. I'm shooting you all the best of luck, good vibes, and severe jealousy that you got this deal! Haha. Seriously you're going to love it. A lot of people play Laklands...and never look back! (Me included)

Definitly come back to this thread and post pictures the minute you get it! Also, Lakland customer support is top notch. If you have questions when it comes they'll help you. Plus, there are a bunch of really cool, knowledgable guys in the Lakland Onwers Group that can lend a hand too. When do you expect it to arrive?

7. DVJENS

DVJENS

Feb 3, 2014
    Between next Monday and Thursday! I feel like I'm a kid waiting on Santa!

8. Paladin54

Paladin54 Rockin' the root...

Feb 3, 2012
    Michigan
    I looked up the listing and if that is the right one, you got a fantastic deal. It looks like it still has plastic on the tuners and one of the pickups. And a gig bag also? You stole that bass.

9. DVJENS

DVJENS

Feb 3, 2014
    Paladin....I think we are talking about the same one. I'm glad you concur that the deal was amazing. I kept thinking there has to be a catch. Maybe I am looking at it wrong and that I would get it and it would say Lakeland or something instead of Lakland. Like it was a cheap knockoff. It sure looked legit to me and been looking and these things retail for about $1100 and up. I can't believe I got this lucky. We'll see. Hope it doesn't show up in pieces....

10. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    You know, we could start a whole new club. The "I got a Lakland off line, brand new, half price" club.

11. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    Every Lakland I've ever played was a great instrument. Congratulations on a great deal!

MattyH likes this.
  12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Any 4464...even used for $550 is a steal....

Expect a GREAT bass you will love to play and should last you as long as you went it to....

Congrats!

Make sure to post pics in the Lakland thread when you get it!

Peace

Doug

MattyH likes this.
  13. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Listen to everything basspraiser says! Lakland guru. And he's always got great insight, advice, and news on Lakland.

14. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    LOL.... You overestimate me young Jedi!

:)

MattyH likes this.
  15. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats - that's quite a score! I'd be surprised if it actually has a 1.5" J neck, since the stock 44-64 has a 1.75" neck. I happen to love the Lakland 1.75" neck, so either way, you did well.

MattyH likes this.
  16. Paladin54

Feb 3, 2012
    Michigan
    Did you get the bass yet?

MattyH likes this.
  17. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    I've been extremely satisfied with my Skyline 55-60 I bought here on TB for $900 used. Build quality is outstanding. I think you could get a higher trade-in price than you're paying for that bass off ebay. Great grab! A really good set up once you receive it should make it play beautifully, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    MattyH likes this.
  18. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Has it come yet???

19. Paladin54

Feb 3, 2012
    Michigan
    Come on! Let us know! Did you get the bass? Was it a great deal?

20. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Seriously eager to hear more on this