lakland YAY! (review?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Sep 29, 2005.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    hey! i post very little in the bass forum, but i do post in the effect forum, but anyway, this is a bass review!

after being robbed and lost my fender jazz and warwick fortress 1 i had the mission to get a new bass, and since i was going to California and in Uruguay there is almost NO market for professional basses, i told myself to get a warwick, cause fenders appear more often here (or in the neighboor country).

i went to guitar center, sam ash, west L.A and a couple more music shops, and all warwicks i founded were thin sounding corvettes or 5`s and 6`s (i play 4`s).

i got to a place called truetone on santa monica, which didnt had warwicks, but had some musicmans, so i said "why not try one?". tryed some but no one did convince me.
    i was a little dissapinted for not finding any bass until i saw a lakland hangin onthe wall.

never tried a lakland, all i readed about was in forums and the interner. so i plugged in and WOW.

It is a 4-94 with rosewood fretboard, MM and jazz Bartolini pups, 3 band EQ, vol and pan, pull the vol knob for pre-bypass.

it costed 1850 dollars used, that was about the max money i was planning of spending, and since retail is 3700 i went for it.

so after 5 days of playing it all day here in uruguay with my SWR rig my veredict is:

2 thumbs up!
    EXTREMPLY VERSTIL, and on each sound i dial, it can sound exelent!

and is VERY confiortable to play!!!!

the only complai i had was that when you bypass the PRE it had a big volume drop......... unitl someone here told me that it has a TRIM pot in the electronics!!!!
    so i lower it and when i switch active to passive the vol remains the same. also found 2 switches in the electronic cavity that can make the MID control boost or cut other frequencys, making it a "pseudo-parametric" EQ.

i am totally happy with my new bass and recommend it totally for almost eveyone!

+1 for Lakland!
  2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Awesome, I love Laklands. I just got a new job paying as much as 18/hr...I'm 17 and have no bills. Lakland 44-94 here I come! :)
  3. The US Laklands are great instruments. I have a 4-94D (birdseye fretboard, tobacco sunburst over quilt) and a US hollowbody (custom purpleburst). I find myself using these more than anything else these days, even my beloved Pedullas. Stable necks, great sound and great feel, what more could one ask for? :hyper:
  4. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Congratulations on your new bass!

We need photos!
  5. bassedsouth

Dec 2, 2004
    I agree the USA 4-94 is a super versatile bass , with many killer sounds to choose from , and what a neck !
  6. +1

I just got my Skyline version. ( locals told me the Korean version sucked, but I trusted you guys) I like it , however, man oh man was that preamp up loud. Bottomed out my speaker the first time I hit the low b and tons of distortion! ( not the nice kind my tube preamp delivers) I've yet to adjust it. And I'll play with that EQ setting as well once I get a new set of SunBeams on there.

Of the 4 'mid range' ( $400-800 Jazz, Schecter, Ibanez) basses I've tried, the Lakland has the most comfortable neck, and I prefer the maple fingerboard. (Me likes it BRITE!)

My only "complaint" is that I've always prefer natural wood to colored axes. But this one was in our for sale section at a number I could swing. Oh well, FUNCTION over FORM anyday. Never having owned a "painted" bass, I wonder how to care for the finish. Hard car wax like a Zymol, or nothing????

BTW, THNX fretless5fan!! :hyper:
  7. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    Delorean do you have a pic of your purple burst hollow body?
  8. I just went and took this, it didn't come out as well as I would have liked (camera hasn't been charged in the last year between leaving my old job and getting divorced... I had to run from the charging cord which limited my options for lighting, and then downsizing to TB limits...) but it does get the idea.

The pic makes it look a bit red/pinker than it is in person. The goal was a transparent royal purple, they came close.

Attached Files:

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Uruguay bassman, good luck on your Lakland. Man, order an SX for when you go out. I would hate to hear that someone stole your 4-94!
  10. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Locals in Buffalo saying that Skyline's are no good? Sounds like something those clowns down at Guitar Center would say in order to sell you some other crap that they're overstocked on :scowl:

I love my 55-02.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When you pull out the pot, the bass is passive. There's no preamp (as you mentioned) in the circuit, so the output will be lower. I don't think I would have turned down the trim pot, though. The only time I use that bass in passive mode is when the battery goes dead. Then I just turn up the gain at the amp.

As far as the DIP switches in the cavity, I just set mine at 850, up from 700. I'm looking for a little more bite, so a little boost at 850 hz helps. I'd set it at 500 if I was going to cut.

Anyway, congratulations on your new bass. Of course, you know it doesn't exist until the pictures are posted.
  12. crisp2u, actually it was some dude at the House of Guitars in Rochester. The guys at GC are always like, " We'll call you, give me a number". And, of course, the call never comes.

Hey, I turned the trim pot all the way down. Maybe the output is too much for my Mesa Walkabout to handle??

13. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    The HoG is still there!!?!? I used to live in Geneva and Buffalo, NY and went there all the time. That place is a trip! Is there still a huge pile of t-shirts in the basement?

Now to the Lakland... very beautiful bass, man. If I didn't pull the trigger on my new Cort Artisan A5 I would have stepped up a bit to Lakland! Congrats! She's sexy!
  14. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    That looks awesome. i want to get a usa deluxe in trans blue. after seeing yours i might have to due a blueburst.
  15. One of the forumites has a beautiful blueburst US hollowbody, maybe they can be convinced to post the pic again. And to un-hijack the thread, the happy owner of a 4-94 that started the thread can post a pic of their Lakland joy, too. I'd throw one of my 4-94D up, but I already feel guilty with the hollowbody hijacking...