Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DRN, Mar 19, 2002.

1. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I am looking at purchasing a lakland 5-string.

Just looking for feedback.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Good choice. So says me and lots of other players here...but in all fairness, you'll find some that aren't real impressed with them either.

If you're not near a dealer where you can try them out, I'd give you the following advice: Think about what kind of tones you like and the music you'll be playing. Lots of the comments I've seen from players who didn't like Laklands were due to the tone of the Bartolini electronics. To some ears they're perfect, to some (including me) they're too "soft" (not in volume or output, in tonal character). If you're looking for a tone that's aggressive and with some bite, check into a Lakland with Basslines. I personally went through 4 55-94's with Barts before I settled on my 55-63 with 2 Basslines J's and found the tone I was after. If you like a warmer tone, you'd probably be happy with the Barts.

My point is this: I don't recall ever hearing anything but positive comments about Lakland necks, construction, playability, etc. All the negatives seem to stem from electronics. Check those out first. The Lakland website has a good in-depth comparison between Barts and Basslines...might save you some disappointment to check that out first.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Great bass, excellent quality, excellent customer service. The ones I've played felt great but I don't like the Music Man (55-94{USA} & 55-02{Korean})style pick up. I've never played the 55-63 which has 2 Jazz pick ups which I prefer.

I currently own a 55-01{Korean} & IMO, it plays & sounds better than the USA models I've compared it to. IMO, it's the best sounding, Bartolini equipped bass, I've ever played so far.

4. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Luckily a friend of mine owns a music store and let me take a 55-94 USA to my resersal room last night. I tell you what I played that thing like it was the last time I was ever going to play. I do alot of harmonics tapping slapping etc. This bass had awsome clarity and a clean low b that rocked. I tune my B to an A so for me the 35" scale gave the extra clarity I was looking for.
    I always like to hear other peoples opinions since a bass just ins't a bass it's also the company that stands behind the product. I have played some great basses and then heard the factory is a pain to deal with as well as some factory defects. If I am going to lay 2,300 down I like to hear things about the company as well.

I am going to try to find one with basslines to compare before purchasing. Just to make sure.

Thanks for the great feedback!!!!

Dave

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I can't imagine better customer service that Lakland's. Well, I could imagine, but it would include free ... :eek:

6. Lakland hasn't responded to my email that I sent about 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to reply back to you? Also, I'm looking at the 55-01 in Musicians Friend, either natural or sunburst, with a maple neck. I don't have 7 hundred dollars right now but I want to sell my Ibanez SR885 and my Kustom !00 watt 15" combo. How much do you think I could get for the bass and amp? I will also need to buy a new amp after I sell this one. Maybe a rack and speaker or something like that. Any suggestions?

7. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ...as stated.....Lakland cust service is very good.

I've gotten email responses back from Dan as quickly as the same day.

Try it again.....or better yet give 'em a call. :)

PJR

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    feel free to look around my site for sound samples and info on the lakland basses- www.access-bass.com

9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey give them a call... Either Dan or John will call you back... Great basses and fabulous customer service... I own two 55-94's and hope to have a Joe Osborne 5 soon... Steven....

10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I picked up a 4-94 in a trade and liked it so much that I sold two really nice basses to finance the purchase of a 55-94. I love these basses. Oh yeah, my basses are Bartolini equipped and sound terrific.

Dan Lakin has promptly answered my emails and Lakland has a very good reputation for service.

Chuck

11. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the Barts and I like the way they sound. I've got enough bite to choke a horse if I need it. A lot has to do with the speakers I'm using too but the combination of the Lakland, a great B string, tremendous playability, adjustability beyond what's ever been necessary on board the bass, it's a great piece.

Plenty of nice ones at BC. Call Gard!!!

LKaye

12. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I love my 55-94 Deluxe. Playability and tone is topnotch. And my e-mails to the company get answered very promptly, often by Dan himself (unless he is away), whether it is about basses, strings or pick-ups.

I love the Barts on the bass. Very quiet (no hiss), warm, clean and clear. If you slap a lot, you may want SD pickups as they produce a "scooped" aggressive tone. But if you like warm mids, stick with the Barts. I once had a discussion with Dan himself about pickups. He personally prefers the Barts. He also mentioned that his customer satisfaction with his SD-equipped basses is "low", which perhaps explain why 95% of his basses are equipped with Barts. But at the end of the day, it's all down to personal preference.

You also have a choice of a maple or rosewood fingerboard. The rosewood, as you would expect, is warmer while the maple is brighter.

The various combinations of the Jazz and MM pickups give you an interesting variety of tones. But if you expect a Lakland to sound exactly like a Fender Jazz or MM bass, you'd be disappointed. (If you want a Jazz bass, go get a Fender Jazz). To me, the Lakland has its own sound. It sounds like a Lakland ;)

Get a Lakland. You won't regret it.

13. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for all the great replies everyone.

I think I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I am just trying to decide if I should order one with basslines or keep the barts. I have read the comparison on Lakland's web site and I am not sure. I wish I could find a store with both styles but since 95% sold are barts not likely.

Again thanks,
    Dave

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    youll be fine with the barts- i know there are a few that really like the duncans, but ive had 2 with barts and they have been great-- good luck and enjoy!!- A.

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I ordered one from Musicians Friend Thursday (they were supposed to be in stock Friday), but it is still on backorder and they can't tell me when it will be in. The natural and sunburst aren't due to be in stock until next month at the earliest. Check the dates they have listed on their web page before you buy from them, and then take it with a grain of salt. You would probably be better off buying one from Adrian at www.access-bass.com, or from The Dude. (No charge for the plug guys...)

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, Laklands rule. RULE!

[​IMG]

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yep- i gotta say- they are nice!!
    [​IMG]

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Just unpacked three Skyline 55-01's today in the following color/board wood options. All are unspoken for.

email me at vintgebass@aol.com if interested.

Black/MaplePics Here

Inca Silver/Maple
    Pic's Here

Three Tone Sunburst/Rosewood Lined Fretless
    Pics Here

19. I had a 55-94 Deluxe with Barts and a bird's eye-maple board. It looked awesome (5A quilted top) and it played OK too but the TONE.................MAN I really don't know why some many people are raving on their tone! I find the tone lacking a whole lot of personality, alomst "empty" sounding. I guess the Bartolini pups and preamp have a lot to do with it. Unplugged it ain't much either; weak sound. On the other hand: the B string is very tight indeed! I traded it for a Mike Lull Modern 5V which is definately my bass. I also own a Lakland Joe Osborn (swamp ash, maple board) with Bartolini pups and active Bartolini circuit but that bass really ROCKS. I don't understand why the difference in sound is so big between the two.

20. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I have owned my 55-94 Deluxe since September, and am very, VERY happy with it. It is my main instrument now. I have the Barts, and with my sound(very round and focused, no mud or "woomph") I think it is great. If you are comparison shopping, call Gard or Grasshopper down at Bass Central. They are one of the top Lakland dealers in the country, and will meet or beat pretty much any price.

Alright Gard, I expect my kickback for sendng you this one.... ;)