Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockbassist1087, Dec 21, 2002.

1. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Hey guys, once again in need of your help. I went to a few music stores in my area today and at this one particular store they had this really nice Lakland. It was an awesome bass and it will probably be the one I will buy. But I don't know which model it is. The salesman said that it was a 55-02, but the one i played was a 4 string and on the Lakland site the only show a 5 string model. The salesman also said it was $1300 and made in korea. It had the j/mm pickup configuration. Can anyone tell me the model that i played? It sounds like a pretty dumb question, but im not fimilar at all with Lakland, in fact that was the first one i've ever tried. The store I went to was Rudy's guitar shop in NYC. Its pretty popular maybe some of you guys actually went there and saw this bass.

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    It's probobly a 44-02, not a 55-02. They're great basses. I just played one today and was amazed again. They're Korean, but they're not cheap.

3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Awesome....thanks alot.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hmm.... check that price again- you can do better.

5. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    If you really dig the Bass. Check around for a better price, I have the 55-02 deluxe and got it for under $1100. Great Basses, Good Luck:D

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah $1300 is high.. I even think musiciansfriend sells them for less than that... i think they go for $1100 and under... great bass.. you need it.. buy it

7. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    I agree. $1300 for 54-02 is a bit unrealistic, even for MSRP. That shop you went into must not sell a lot of basses? $1300 is more realistic as a list for a 55-02, which I know can list up to $1600. The Bass Place, in Tempe has a whole wall of Skylines and the highest priced one, a SAH-weet 55-02 with a candy apple red body and birdseye maple fretboard was in the mid $900's. Definitely make sure to shop around before you buy.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    the store is Rudy is manhattan- they pay a BIG rent or mortgage- you [ay that much in NYC--
    the 55-02 doesnt offer a birdseye mapleboard- at least ive never been told as a dealer that it was an option..

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Dan told me that it wouldn't be offered. If it had a price of $1600 and bird'seye maple, then I'm guessing 44-94.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Bass Place in AZ sells a lot of stuff for less than what the manufactureres allow... ive seen this several times- im probably gonna get called on this.. but i have been given a set of guidelines and prices i cannot sell below, and BP sems to igonre that- ive seen 55-02's offered for $995 new on ebay- a blatant breach of agreement- good for the bassist, i guess- but dealers need a more level playing field-- for example, i could lose my delaership if i did that-
    ok, nnow i KNOW im gonna get in trouble for saying that, but its not fair and i think other dealer will agree--- just think if someone came up and offered your boss to do YOUR job for less- and youre out of a gig-- but then again, bassist will be happy with a "steal"
    i may very well get a nasty email from BP now- oh well......

11. arcopizz

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    Adrian, definitely not trying to start a war here. All I can do is call 'em as I see 'em:)

I've been a customer of the Bass Place for a number of years and know that they have been fair with me, for the most part. I have had my disagreements with them. I can only speak for myself. Others may have experienced something else. I wouldn't know.

Why they sell their Basses for the prices they do? I dunno... That's for you shop owners to work out. I know BP has been dealing with Lakin for quite some time. I bought my 55-94 almost 3 years ago and they were already well established with them at that point. The manager of the store owns several of them, personally. They're really the only decent place to buy a Bass around here, so I'm definitely not gonna diss them. Heck, you know what it's like trying to find a set of Slow Wound Super Longs in 6 strings for my Roscoes', on a moments notice?!?!? :)

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i know i went out on a limb with my comments- i didnt question their customer service- ive never dealt with them... i just dont feel putting new basses on ebay for $995 when everyone else is SUPPOSED to sell them for $1189, give or take a couple of bucks isnt fair to the guy trying to adhere to the rules laid out by the manufacturer- no war, just an observaton :)

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    What Adrian said.....

14. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've never dealt with bass place... they never really had anything I needed/wanted/desired... This is just an objective question about the whole situation. Why would you risk your deal with a manufacturer to sell basses below what the manufacturer says you should move them for? As a secondary question, would some of the other retailers that participate on the board be tempted to notify a manufacturer of a retailer that was dropping prices too much?

P@

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I have and will continue to do so in this case and other cases. If I have to play by the rules then so should everyone else.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    what Dude said...
    let me just state that Dude is an excellent dealer- and adheres to the rules, as does Gard at Bass Central- we mantain our customer base through customer SERVICE- one of the biggest concerns that manufactureres had with me is that im an online store- believe me, and i wont say who- but when i became an F bass dealer and Bergantino dealer- there was a considerable amount of noise made about wether i would undercut other dealers since i had no " brick and mortar" storefront--
    i have seen said dealers engage in very slimy tactics--
    Dude , you know what im talking about..
    George Furlanetto, for example- was very clear that i was not to sell below a price- that is designed to protect the other dealers-- and i have lost many a sale because i chose to follow .. same with Jim Bergantino-
    the fact that i gig for a living allows me to sit on things a little longer-i dont have to worry about making payroll or rent-- so my point is-- i am LESS likely to blow out product- fact is, some manufactures enforce the rules more than others-- the reason a dealer sells below agreed price is simply because they can move more product- and get more sales--
    again, we need a level playing field-
    i sell at a good discount- but i wouldnt last long if i constantly undercut say, Dude, --of course we say something!! fair is fair, bro-- otherwise it would be an orgy of backstabbing and undercutting-
    again, if someone came in and offered to do my gig for 40% less, for example.. it would suck and id be upset- thats a given.. imagine if someone cost you your job because they decided to be a scab-- no good, man-- i havent sold a lakland in a while-- seeing a bass that im supposed to sell for $1119 on ebay for $995- well, that makes me look like a greedy bastard to the uneducated consumer.. i know for a fact some stores have lost their dealership for scabbing -- i am certainly under scrutiny.. i choose to follow and honor my agreement- we all have some room to play-- but getting udercut by hundreds is bull- now that im a dealer- i know it more than ever.. and basses are better and less expensive than ever.. so theres no need to whore them out-- enough said.. rant over..Merry Christmas!!

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Stay calm. Stay calm. I'm a relatively respectable citizen -- a multiple felon, perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    no respectable citizen stays up posting this ridiculously late.. ;)
    its 2:35 here and youre an hour ahead!!
    gigged at the Blue Note and im still wound up-
    i gotta get up early and start AND finish my Christmas shopping tomorrow, though :eek:

19. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    thanks for the replies.... sorry if I got you all wound up there Adrian! I was just sort of curious about what you dealers would do...

I think I would do the same... fair is fair...

P@

20. arcopizz

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    Dude: Are you local here, in Az? I'd be interested in getting to know another local dealer... "Bass Dealer" that is! :D