Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LAKLAND

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by merrill_chris, Nov 26, 2000.

1. merrill_chris

merrill_chris

Nov 23, 2000
    does anybody have any bad stuff to say about 55-94 lakland????

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They're overpriced parts basses that don't cut through in the mix and sound muddy;)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LOL. Brad, Brad, Brad.

4. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    Not only that, but they have really ugly quilted tops and hideous birdseye maple fretboards....lousy fret filing too. ;)

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Hey, people say these things ;)

Here's another one....they're no Sadowsky.

Almost forgot...they're not neck through.

6. Well, so far three people have had not so flattering things to say about Laklands, but all three have one in their collections.

As far as not cutting through the mix, I don't know where you guys are playing, but I can't remember a time when mine didn't cut through like a hot knife through butter with a clear tone.

Herm

7. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    Herm....hmmmm....could it be that these reprobates that are slagging Laklands while owning one could be...perhaps...utilizing sarcasm with tongue planted firmly in cheek?

Nawww.....Laklands suck! I gotta go practice on my 55-94....

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Munji and maestrox, you wanna tell him... or should I? ;)

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You beat me to it, maestrox:D

We were stating negative things that "other" people say about Laklands. There's a reason we own one (or more)...we don't think the same thing.

;););)

10. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    Well, I already told him they suck. What more needs to be said? ;)

btw, what strings do you run on your Lakland? I always loved DR Lowriders on my 4 string basses in the past, so when I jumped to 5 I stuck with what I knew. I had MTD's on the Lawrence, and put Slowounds on the Zon, but stuck with DR's on the Lakland. As it seems that I've finally decided to keep the Lakland for me fretted (it just speaks to me more than the others and is actually easiest to play), I'm wondering about tonal variations...

11. In a previous post Brad Johnson says...

<<We were stating negative things that "other" people say about Laklands. There's a reason we own one (or more)...we don't think the same thing.>>

D'oh!

Went right over my head, Call me mr. friggin sensitive!

Herm

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Lakland Nickel Rounds (.128- .040) are working extremely well for me. If they only lasted forever...

The best results I've had with my Zon are Ken Smith Burners. They work incredibly well on my fretless Legacy 5.

The Zon is plastic;)

13. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    Well Mr. Sensitive, I'm afraid I don't see how you get "Herm" as a contraction from a first name Friggin. but then again maybe it's one of those cases where the "Fr" is silent, and is pronounced as a multilateral dipthong.

Man....I'm bored.

14. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    And remember that plastic is spastic...

I've still got the original strings on my Lightwave (Zon nickelwounds I think...they have black windings). I'm afraid to change them because the bass sounds perfect. I suppose at some point I'll have to change them...unless I get a Michael Jackson hermetically sealed bubble chamber to store the bass in...or better yet, I can get in a play it in the chamber. Them me and the strings might last forever!

Now I just need to find a chimp...

15. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Merril_chris

I won't beat around the bush, I haven't one bad thing to say about my Lakland 55-94. Its a well balanced, great sounding/playing, good looking, slightly overpriced (you can't have everything), quality built bass guitar. I like mine so much that I have its fretless sister coming in the middle of December.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Laker -

That makes two of us. And mine should be here any day if yours is going to come mid-December. I ordered mine around the first of October.

I'm using the Lakland strings that came on it. Judas Priest! They're two years old! Oh well, have your way with me. They sound fine, as far as I can tell.

Also, I wasn't going to let Herm in on the secret.

Little known fact: "herm" is the scientific term for one cubic mouthful. Used in a sentence: "Anything bigger than six herm is superfluous." Notice how the plural of herm is still herm?

17. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Im about to buy a Lakland.I cant decide between the Alder bodied classic and the std.body.I would order an ebony fretted board on either.Has anybody "A/B'd"these?
    Also has anyone played the single pick up version?If so, is the single p/u versions pick up more powerful than the M/M type pick up on the two p/u version?(this was the case with pre-ernie basses).What would you think about having the M/M style pick up in the neck position,and the J style in the bridge position?Or two M/M style pickups?Thanks

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I like the ability to split colis in the bridge position. Warrior installs them in the reverse and they sound pretty good.

19. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    How do they sound different?

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    In the neck position, a switchable MM style might give you more P-like choices. I don't think the Warrior I checked out had a coil splitter. This would give you more control over the "bottom" on the bass.

In the bridge position on the 55-94, I use bridge solo with both coils on (think Stingray), both pickups on with bridge/both coils (think phat) and both pickups with bridge coil selected (think Fender Jazz). Mids on 750hz. This is the basis for any tone I need in combination with my hands.