Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Aug 4, 2003.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Here's a question for you Lakland fans... Admittedly, its gonna sound really dumb right off the bat,, my apolgies... BUT, Would you rather spend $700 on a 55-01,,, or $1100 for a 55-02,,, OR,,, $1050 for a Joe Osborn 5?

I'm having a tough time justifying the extra cash in my head.

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    After testing out the 55-02 and the JO5, I WILL be getting the JO. I love the tone of that bass. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you don't get the JO, at least get the 55-02. I think you will be glad you did. BTW, where are you getting the bass from?

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, that's the problem.. None of the local retailers in my area carry Lakland... The one vendor I've found online that seems to carry a good selection,, is Basscentral.com

4. I don't have experience with any of the others, but I do have some with my 55-02. It is a very solid bass, and has great pickups and a great preamp. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, but I really like the tone and feel of the 55-02. I will probably someday get a JO though, so I'm not much help. I would say the 55-02, but all of them are great basses.

jtbp

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    also checkout www.vintagbass.com and www.bassnw.com

I got a quote of $1250 for the JO5 w/ a J Retro Deluxe (passive tone option) installed and jack moved to the side. The passive bass alone was $975. The guys at bass central are awesome though. Really cool and very helpful. Worth paying a little bit extra if you know you can rely on the customer support. For what its worth, I have talked with a few other Lakland owners and they all say that Dan offers expemplary customer service. You probably couldn't go wrong with any of them. Forgot to ask...what style(s) of music do you play?