Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laklands and Ultralites.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Jul 8, 2005.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    My 55-02D has, like many Laklands, Hipshot Ultralite tuners.

When loosening the nut/ferrule around the post (was checking something) the tuner shifted about 1mm in it's headstock hole (the single set screw on the back keeps it from actually turning). It wasn't much, but now my tuning key is a little crooked and it's edge is almost touching the next tuning key's edge.

Long story short: I take off all the strings and loosen all the tuners (actually off) and find out the holes in the headstock are actually about 1mm too big for the tuners. I've never seen this before on any other bass. Usually the holes are snug (sometimes too snug) around the ferrules for stability.

Anyone else experience this with their Laklands? Do I have something weird here?

2. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I've never taken off my tuners on my 55-02 so I can't say if your problem is an unusuall one. However Dan Lakin always responds to my emails so I suggest going to Lakland.com and contacting him. It's always better to hear it from the horses mouth.

3. That's a good Idea. Is it a Skyline or a USA made?

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's a 55-02... that's a Skyline, but they are "finished" in the USA shop.

5. Yes by all means contact Dan. He WILL settle any issue you may have and make you feel glad you own a Lakland. I can't say enough good things about Lakland customer service!

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yes, this has happened to my Glaub. The G tuner is slightly offset from the other tuners. I can actually move it back and forth a miniscule bit. This has always confused me as I see the one screw in the back holding it in place :confused: . If I move it my G string will detune by about 50 cents. I always ass-umed it was from the headstock bumping into things.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't own a Lakland, but I don't think I've ever had a bass where the tuner fit in 100% snug in the hole (atleast not on a bass where I've taken them off).

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Get it in tune while holding the tuner away from the other pegs and glue it down or drive a big ol' deck screw in there... preferrably a 2 incher. It won't move then. :bag: ;)

9. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Call Dan.

10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Dan is the Man ;)

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    All the holes are equal and in the right place. They're just a little bigger than the tuner nut/ferrule. Meaning if the nut/ferrule isn't screwed down very tight, or comes a little loose, they're unstable.

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've taken the tuners off dozens of basses over the years, for many reasons (installing a Hipshot D-tuner, a different set, modification, etc.), and they've always been snug. Sometimes too snug where they had to be....uh...."tapped" out.

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Helpful, as always. ;)

I may call Dan, but I already have a fairly easy fix:
    I can get thin brass tubing (Hobby/Craft stores) that can be cut and fit around the ferrule (making a ferrule within a ferrule) to take up the extra space and make the tuner stable within the hole.

14. audiophile_

audiophile_

Jul 9, 2005
    hi im new toi this forum but anywho. apart from the tuners on the 55-02 are there any major problems with it because im considering
    buying it.
    thanks

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    None. I wouldn't expect this to be typical of all basses, and even if it was, it's easy to deal with. I have an 02 and have zero problems. Just a lot of love for it. :)

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Absolutely not. I come from being a die hard "neck through only", hi end bass back ground and this bass has just floored me. In fact, it is so good, (and also has the graphite bars in the neck like the USA 55-94) I can't see how the USA (other than asthetic options) competes at such an increase in price.

That being said, I did do one alteration out of personal preference: I have to have a quick release bridge so I took the Lakland bridge off and replaced it with a Hipshot. I can't string through the body anymore (The Hipshot is capable of this but Lakland staggers their body holes, so they don't line up with the Hipshots holes), but it doesn't matter since I find stringing through the body a wasted effort.......and this bass sustains so well it wouldn't need it anyway.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Out of curiosity....is your Glaub USA or Skyline?

18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Y'know....this bass plays so well I'd almost be afraid of messing it up with any kind of replacement. But an addition......NOW we're talking! :smug: ;)