1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Laklands? Tell me everything about the 4402....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Apr 15, 2006.

1. I just had an interesting hour in my local music shop. I played a deluxe US Fender Jazz, a US 62 Precision Reissue, a Sting Precision Reissue, a Musicman Sterling, a Musicman Stingray and a Warwick Corvette. This was the top shelf stuff on offer and I was pretty shocked by how poor (to my ears) some of these options were.
    In short, the Jazz was very lame, the Warwick and Sterling too brittle. So I was left really enjoying the round tone of the 62 and the awesome ash maple zap sound of the Stingray. I started thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have the rounded neck pickup mix added to the Stingray style bridge humbucker. Obviously this isn't a new thought:D But I'm on limited resources over here so I'm wondering if anyone Lakland users out there can tell me a bit about why the use the bass they do. Tonally what does the 4402 offer? US or Skyline.

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    The search function is very helpful when it comes to these sort of questions. You'll find a wealth of info all about it.

3. Thanks for that. I did look. I found a bunch of Polls and a few bits and pieces. If anyone out there has a 4402 with Seymour Duncans, I'd appreciate some information on tones etc.... I've read plenty on the build quality, cost etc etc

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might also try searching under "44-02."

There are also several pickup options on the 44-02. They come with Bartolinis standard, but future models will come with the new in-house-designed Lakland pickups standard, IIRC. Lakland has also offered Seymour Duncan pickups on the 44-02, as well.

From what I've heard, in terms of aggressiveness, the Seymour Duncans have the most bite, followed by the Lakland ones, with the Bartolinis having the most round and warm tone of the three. The MM pickup at the bridge is not as punchy as a Stingray pickup, but still provides a nice tone, just not the classic Stingray sound.

If you are in love with the Stingray sound from that MM pickup, keep in mind that Stingrays can now come with dual MM pickups, which provides for another bevy of tonal options.

In your case, I'd look at a Lakland 44-02, a Stingray 4HH, and a Bongo 4HH, and get the one that sounds best to you, if you can find somewhere within driving distance to try them out.