1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Laklands, to me, sound best with flats...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ndrly, Aug 30, 2007.

1. I've been on the official Lakland website, and I've heard some soundbytes. To me, they sound better with flatwound strings. I don't know why. Must be a matter of taste.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like flats. I like rounds, too. And carrots.

3. Okay, what's with everybody's obsession with carrots all of a sudden?

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    I like apples.

I had the same set of roundwounds strings in my 4-94 for about 2 years, and every time i played i was amazed by the sound... 1 weeks ago i put a ew set of rounds and it blew my mind.

I guess if i use flats it will also sound exelent

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I love flats, rounds, blonds, brunettes, and red heads. And carrots ain't bad. Did I miss anything?

6. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Is it really about the carrots, or only about the carotene?

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    a little offTopic: everytime i ploay my Lakland i remember the ethernal dicussion about "more growl on more heavier basses" and the 4-94 is the prove that this is not a rule. It is VERY light, and Growls as a a Warwick!!!

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I like the JOs with flats, but then again passive vintage Fenders with flats have one of my all time favorite bass tones.

I briefly owned a 55-94 that I bought used, strung with JO flats, and while it didn't sound bad, it robbed the bass of much of it's personality and flexibility. I just didn't 'get it'.

9. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    +1 on red heads.....lol

i also like flats, but i also tamper with nylons o_O

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My JO sounds great with either flats or rounds. I currently have Chromes on it and they seem to be the perfect string for it to me.

11. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    that's your real answer right there ndrly. It's all a matter of taste.

I don't know about flats, I use TI rounds on my fretless 44-02 deluxe and it's the coolest fretless sound I've heard in a long time (and that's saying something).

most importantly .....

enjoy!