Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 7, 2005.

1. do laklands (44-02, 4-94) accurately reproduce the stingray tone and jazz bass tone?...ive played a 44-01...but just wanna know how the 44-02 and 4-94's go
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    if they're the ones with the MM and the jazz p/u's, i've only played them in stores and they've come closer than any other bass i've seen that wasn't a MM. i think the more expensive laklands (not the skylines) are the only basses I'd ever consider outside of my Bongo these days.
  3. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    They do get you really close, but I don't agree with Joe when he says not the skylines. The only real difference is cosmetic quality. Plus US line uses slightly lighter woods, so you may feel a difference of a few ounces.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you're going to go that route, IMO get a Lakland with the Seymour Duncan pickups rather than the Barts. The Barts can have a muted high end.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This has been my experience as well. The Bart setup is pretty polite. Not near as agressive as a Stingray. Even Dan Lakin says that if you want a Stingray sound from the bridge pickup, the Duncans are the way to go.
  6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Right your are David!
    Personally, I don't think the Laklands reproduce a MM tone at all, especially not with the Barts. I roll the treble on most of my basses off when when playing fingerstyle, but with the Bart equipped 55-94, I have to start fully boosted and roll of from there because it's so shy in the highs.
    I've played many 55-94's, and the best one to date was the one I played with the Basslines. It gave a nice effort at least to MM, but it still was a MM tone.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Right, it's the closest to the stingray sound out of the options but not quite there.

A Fender Precision Deluxe with it's rear humbucker does a reasonable Stingray imitation also.
  8. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I played a Lakland for the first time when I was in Toronto lasts week, and I am 99.9% sure I would have swapped my SR5 for the Skyline 55-02.

It just played beautifully from the first fret to the last fret, and the sound-straight through to a MarkBass combo-was what I always wanted.

It was very high quality, and it wasn't until I was finished playing it, that I was told it was NOT a US/CAN made instrument, but from overseas (I forget which sea though :).
  9. Sorry guys, dont mean to butt in here, but if i was to swap out the barts in my 44-02 for seymour duncans, would it be simply just switching out the pickups or would it involve a bit more work than that?