Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lamario Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Cricket, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    man, those scrolls are so very cool!
    I'd love to have one of those!

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Mmmmm, he does love to go low, doesn't he? If it's not a five, it's a low B extension...or a low B and a low C on the D string! This guy's wild, I love his carving. Very cool!

-Aaron

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mario Lamarre was at the ISB Convention... he won convention favorite and Silver Medal or Certificate of Workmanship... I can't quite remember... Anyway, he was very friendly, talkative (although english is not his first language), and his bass was beautiful.

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I was wondering about that 5 string, it probably has a high C, and the extension is on the E string right?
    would be wild if the extension was on the B string!

6. SebBass

SebBass

Jan 7, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes, he's the luthier that handles all of my teacher's basses.

He's a great guy, and having seen the basses he worked on (Ie: My teacher's), I do believe he is recommandable.

7. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Out of curiosity, how much does he charge for the basses? They seem like the craftsmanship is top-notch. Hard too say without playing though.

8. SebBass

SebBass

Jan 7, 2004
    Montreal
    I *think* I heard something about 10 000$ per bass...

9. Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Wow, I would of thought that those basses would go for well over 10,000. I am super curious now, I will contact the guy and post my results.

10. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    After winning convention favorite with one of his basses? Hmm, 10k seems a bit low....

11. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I talked to Mario last summer (2004), and they were above the 10K range. Something around 24K springs to mind, but I don't remember if that was CAN or USD. He also mentioned a 4 year wait.

12. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    4 years? Wow... that's pretty crazy. Even at 4 months per instrument, that would make you 12th in line.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Maybe someone should post this on the BG side -- it might put things into perspective for those who are complaining about a 1.5/2 year wait on their $3,500 customs ;).

14. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    He could have been giving a long very safe estimate. IIRC, at that time he had just received a commission to build extensions for most of the Montreal Symphony bassists. That may have been affected by the strike. I'm not really sure. Mario probably knows what his current build time is better than I do. ;)

15. Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Mario,
    Dear Peter:
    I am very curious about you Basses.I love the pictures, they seem like remarkable instruments. Thanks for your interest and comments.
    Please tell me, how long does it take you to build the average bass? It depends, these ones (with integrated extension) take around 5 months.
    What materials do you use, I use maple or poplar for back and spruce for table top.
    do you bass your works upon a former maker? I've learned by myself and the first one I've built, it was on order.
    Your extensions are remarkable, tell me about them. I 've made them before I've made a double bass and in my opinion it's the time when you make a new double bass to integrate it at the same time, it looks better and gives an opportunity to make any themes with the scroll.
    What does your typical bass usually cost, in USD? The price depends on several things. For now it starts at 28K USD, but with head integrated, facets, removable neck it costs around 34K USD.
    Regards,
    Mario Lamarre, Luthier
    4710, rue St-Ambroise, Suite 123
    Montreal, Quebec
    H4C 2C7
    (514) 931-6092

16. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    There you have it; straight from the horse's/elephant's/dragon's mouth. Glad to hear that the wait is not 4 yrs.

17. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, all that we know is that he builds an instrument in 5 months...

18. Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I would be a bit skeptical of the Maker if he is self taught. I just think that a lot of the makers today have formal training, and yea he won an ISB award so hes doing a lot for himself, but 34k for a self taught guy seems a little steep. Cool bass though

19. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Point well taken.

20. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I studied lutherie with Mr. Lamarre for one year.
    What I can tell you about him is that he first studied sculpture and then studied lutherie for three years with italian master luthier Sylvio de Lellis.
    What he probably meant is that he made his first bass without a master's supervision.
    Before that he made violins, violas, cellos, guitars, etc.
    Mario Lamarre is an outstanding luthier, and sensitive human being.