1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LaMarquis Jefferson checkin in.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LaMarquis J, Apr 18, 2006.

1. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
  2. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Welcome Mr. Jefferson :D

Always great to have a bass luminary post here at TB :bassist:

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Bruh! How's the record coming along? Dude, we played with Martin Luther @ Apache last Thursday, killed it!!! I give you a call later this evening.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hi Lamarquis! I see you have a link to Ritter now. Are those basses seeing some serious studio time? If so, how do they compare to the Sadowsky that built your house? I know one thing, Ritter basses are the most stunning musical artwork I have ever seen applied to an electric instrument period.

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Talk about freakin' wierd!!! I bet you can't guess what song I was listening to just as I read the title of this thread... ok, I'll tell you... watterfalls. Awesomeness abides.

6. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
    The Ritter Classic dosent see that much studio time. No where near as much as the SAD. I use it to get more of a piano like sound on some songs. Sounds great!!! My next conquest is the Ritter Raptor w/the midi option added to the lightwave pickup system. This will prolly be the main bass I use for the upcoming Lil Jon Crunk Rock album in May. Spoke with Jens on the other day in regards to my request. Hes a great builder and person. Ill keep you guys posted:bassist:

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the answer. I'm sure whatever you play sounds great and continued succeess with your career!

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Pimpin! Did you go by the Bass Gallery and play that black and platinum Ritter 5?

9. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
    yeah but it was gone........:spit: :bawl: Hey thanx CHEESE!!!!!

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    You know when you get your Ritter, I've got to experience it! Btw, did you get that live clip of the TV show? Also, does your custom bike ever speak of me? :D I'll give you a call tomorrow. We're playing the Internet Cafe tomorrow.

11. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Crunk rock with midi bass? :eyebrow:

12. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
    I wouldnt expect you to understand. But the way to always be "over the top" and "reinventive" of ones self is to try things that no one else will or has. Especially if it doesn't make sense. Once it becomes a hit you are then considered a innovator or maybe just creative for that time. At the time I did "waterfalls" the envelope bass sound was all but dead (especially on R&B radio). Once that record came out im sure Roland, Boss, Electro harmonix, DOD and a host of others stomp box companys enjoyed the fruits of my labor from bassist looking for "that sound" . Now im not saying that I invented or reinvented it, I just went against the grain of what was considered the norm for that time and by the grace of God.....it worked. :cool:

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's what I'm talkin' about! LaMarquis, I have to admit I wasn't familiar with your work before, but I'm sure going to look you up now. :)

14. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
    Thanx Bongo...God Bless

15. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I wasn't turning my nose up at the idea. I just thought it was interesting. Damn emoticons...bungling the message.

16. I can't say I've ever heard of you but your name is pretty badass. Anyone want to bring us up to speed on Mr. J's accomplishments?

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    He was featured in BP a few months ago. He's played on A LOT of R and B hits.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Go download or get "Waterfalls" by TLC. Keep this in mind while you're listening: the verses were improvised on the spot!

19. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten

I always dug the bassline in that tune.....kinda like a Jamerson bassline a little. Very cool!

20. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Improvised by TLC, or improvised by the rhythm section?