1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lame as crap gig set up.. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by zachoff, Sep 13, 2010.

1. We have this show (Oct 22nd) booked for close to a month now and we were the first to book the date. I looked at the calendar tonight and we're booked with two ska bands and an oi band. Not only are we nothing like any of the bands, but we're not even on the event details.

Nobody, aside from maybe my g/f, is going to spend $8 to see my band play with three other bands they can barely stand to listen to, much less give a crap about. Thinking the venue doesn't really want us to play at this point, which is fine, but I'd rather they just say so and either reschedule us or drop us. I just don't like getting set up to fail like this at all. I'm thinking we'll find another gig for that night and bail once it's set up.
    [/rant]

What would/have you done in this situation?

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Why wouldn't you want to hear ska? Dunno what oi is, but I'd suffer through it for the sake of skanking :p

3. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    I think he's saying their band is so Un-Ska, that their normal crowd wouldn't be interested in a Ska show, and vice versa. If their sound is different enough, he might be right.

4. +1

My dream gig is a Bunch of Celtic punk with Some Reggae/ska thrown in.

5. Yup, and we are. 90% of the time that venue has bands that are way more like mine.

6. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    Sounds like you got caught in someone trying to branch out. The place is trying to reach a larger audience, and you got caught in the middle. Might be a good show to play really. If the place usually has bands closer to your sound, they may help you out in the future. You might make some good contacts/friends amoungst the ska dudes as well.
    I'd play the show.

7. rbbrchkn

rbbrchkn

Feb 25, 2009
    Denver, CO
    That venue seems to be one that treats you really well once they've gotten to know you, from what I hear. I'm betting they get demos all the time from bands they don't know, and have a night every once in a while to give the good ones a shot.

I'd play the gig and try to do your best with the night & lineup as it is. If they like what they hear, they'll ask you back for something better.

8. They're like everyone else... They treat you well if you bring people through the door, regardless of what you sound like. In this case, we won't bring people through the door.

It's not like we just sent them our demo and they called us out of the blue. My guitarist went down there, sat down with them, listened to our music with them, and they scheduled the show for that night on the spot. I dunno... Super bummed.

9. rbbrchkn

rbbrchkn

Feb 25, 2009
    Denver, CO
    3Kings really goes out of their way to support heavy music that they believe in. I'm not saying you don't have to keep your end of the bargain and bring your share of the crowd, but it doesn't make any sense to burn the bridge before you've played the gig.

I've played every venue that size in Denver and plenty of others larger and smaller, and being on the calendar but not on the event info/bio page is totally standard if you've never played there before. You'll get the same treatment from the Larimer Lounge or the Hi-Dive or even the Fox in Boulder. Most of the time, anyway, all they do is copy and past your band bio/info from whatever is on your myspace or website along with the profile/main pic as well. If those two things aren't on your myspace and you don't have some kind of band EPK with a polished short and long bio, as well as professional looking pics, you're going to get the kind of treatment you've described. Some poor sonofa***** is getting paid $7.25/hr to spend a day making the month's calendar, and if it takes them more than 30 seconds to get the info they need, they're gonna skip it.

As far as lineup goes, many shows for these medium-size venues are formed from a well-known band that brings together their own openers to make a good cohesive bill for the night. If you're unhappy with the bands that the venues pair you with, it might be better to talk to bands you think you'd sound good next to and confirm all the dates up front before you take it to the venue. Your band, the venue, and your fans all benefit.

If you want names for other bands in Denver that are similar, or photographers that do good band photos and don't cost too much, or want to talk about streamlining your booking process, send me a PM and I'll try to help out.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    don't be a big sissy. believe in your band and play the gig. don't tell me people who like ska don't like anything else.

11. I'd just do the gig. If nothing else you can network with the other bands and try to put together future shows that fit more with your "style."

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    What kind of music does your band play? It is not unheard off for large clubs to have bands that are not playing music thats all alike on a bill. Play the gig. You also need to get your people out to support your band and not to worry about the other bands. Tell them its all good and to support the scene or you wont have one like my rotten city.

BTW a few years ago a Gal I used to be in a band with Husbands band had a show at a local club that is now gone...torn down :meh: Anyhow there were 4 bands all but one were very heavy thrash metal.. his included. There was one thou that was an alt -country, rock band that sounded allot like the Replacements at times. They rocked and the place loved them. I am friends and a fan of that band today after seeing them there that night. You never know...get your friends out and do the show.

13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    You'd be surprised.

14. dtaylor

dtaylor

Mar 21, 2008
    DC Metro, VA
    +1 Quit yer bellyaching. Your band needs to be responsible for their own draw no matter who else is playing. The venue will book you if you bring in people; if you don't you'll only get gigs when no one else is available.

15. We're not going to pay for photos and all that & have friends in other bands. We'll go that route next time, but thought it'd be safe to let 3 Kings handle it. Live & learn. My guitar player and I have played all over Denver as well... Just not with this band quite yet (we've only been together since December), and our drummer was touring with his band in Arizona before moving here. We're not inexperienced. Just bummed that 3 Kings, who books heavy bands 90% of the time, books us with the 10% that's not and doesn't even list us in the event details. We've played the Lion's Lair, Larimer, and 12 Volt and in every case we were with bands that were somewhat similar and my friends dug it. Pretty sure they'll not dig going to a ska show. This isn't 1995 and we're not 20.

Link's in my sig, but it's stoner metal-ish sorta stuff. We generally draw OK. Most is 70+ & the least is probably 20. Those people will pay $5 to see us and two or three other bands they might like. Not sure they'll pay $8 to see us and three other bands they don't.

16. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I've never liked playing with band that are completely different from our style.

What is an "oi" band?

17. bnelly428

bnelly428

May 17, 2010
    RI
    if you're not listed on the event details I would call and confirm you are still scheduled for that date. you can word it something like "hey this is XX from XX we're supposed to be playing on Oct 22. I noticed on the event details that we were not listed. We weren't bumped were we?" depending on answer "Oh ok because I saw that there are bands that are listed that were very different than us and was curious if you were having an all ska night or something"

or to that effect.

18. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I play dirty rock and roll and my band has played with all types, acoustic, hip hop, metal, death metal, solo guys who cry while they play (not kidding). We will play anywhere and with anyone. Just do what you do and do it great.

19. Oi! is a subgenre of punk that started in the UK in the late 1970's; it's very working-class. Some of it is good melodic fun stuff, but some of it is macho posturing trying-to-be-hard stuff. It depends on the band, really.

20. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    First, check and make sure you are still on the gig if you arent listed. If you are do the gig. If this club has music like yours most of the time it would be foolish to skip the gig and burn a bridge. Not only will you probably not get hired back there, word will get around to other clubs that you arent reliable and that wont help you at all.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021