1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lame dillema, I know.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LowG, Mar 26, 2009.

1. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm wanting to get a decent overdrive pedal for my main board, and am torn between the Fulltone Bass Drive and the VT Bass. I want the sort of "almost-always-on" overdrive that I'm currently getting by pushing the front end of my Ashdown. The problem is, sometimes it's good to have a clean sound.

I currently end up using a bit less preamp gain than I'd like so I can balance a light touch cleaner sound with a digging in drive. Yes, newer ashdown heads have footswitchable tube circuits, but mine is older and doesn't.

I like the sounds I've heard out of both pedals, and I think either could do what I want.

I think the Fulltone might be more up my alley, but I don't have much room! I have a space the size of the "standard" EH pedal free on my board (like the MicroPOG or BBM size), but would have to do major re-arranging, re-cable-soldering maybe even bigger-board-buying to fit in anything larger (like the Fulltone).

The VT would fit perfectly size wise, but may end up completely rebuilding my whole sound due to the emulation. Not that I don't do that enough already.....and if it's an improvement, who cares? I do dig on ampeg sounds just fine, so I think I could roll with the VT.

Any thoughts?

2. according to some, the Fulltone looses a little low end. Its also two chanels, which may be more that you're looking for.

Go for the VT, its far more flexible tonally and smaller. I dont quite understand why the emulation would bother you - its pretty much a 5khz rolloff.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    They sound pretty different. I would also recommend an Xotic Bass BB instead of the Fulltone, as it's tiny in comparison, holds more low end, and (apparently) sounds even better. If I had to choose between the VT/BB as my only pedal I would go for the BB as I love the sound of tubescreamer clones on bass, and not a huge fan of the drive tones you can get out of the VT. I use the VT as a pure amp sim rather than an overdrive; it makes my Markbass amp sound like a dirty old Ampeg and the high-cut really smooths out the sound of distortion pedals. Since Ashdowns can sound pretty dirty and old school anyway, and your cabs may have a natural 5k rolloff by themselves, I reckon you'd be better off with a decent overdrive.

You can also get a pretty flat sound out of the VT Bass (see here) so don't worry about it overly colouring your sound. With the right settings it sounds pretty neutral apart from the 5k speaker sim rolloff.

If you can, get both and sell the one you don't like. VTs pop up pretty regularly on the classifieds here, although they tend to have a lifespan of only a few minutes before someone snaps em up!

4. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, I guess that if it really just comes down to a 5k rolloff it wouldn't be a big deal - I'm playing thru 2 15" cabs with no tweeters anyway!

I'll try to check out some clips of the Xotic. Thanks.

I think part of the problem is that while, yes, the Ashdown does indeed get good dirty oldschool tone, mine is old and isn't footswitchable. I'd like to occasionally use a clean and pure bass sound without the dirt. With something like the VT or an overdrive I could keep the Ashdown on a nice clean sound and have the dirty part on my pedalboard.

Thanks guys.

5. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Not to be the red guy on your shoulder but if you have an Ashdown ABM, the Bass-Drive sounds delicious in front of it.

6. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yep - Ashdown ABM500 "EVO". Older chrome faced rack mount made in UK. Before they gave the footswitch tube pre option.

Maybe I'll try both, but I still don't like the idea of a whole pedalboard rearrangement to accommodate another pedal. I finally found a Digitech XP400 Reverberator and it's taking a lot of room. It would be a shame to send it off the board so soon!

7. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dannybuoy - I think you're right - I finally found some clips of some bass players more up my alley playing the BB and it works just right. Some of the first guys I saw just cranked the gain and I needed to hear how it did with just a little. And it's small.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I have a modded Bad Monkey which will sound close for much less cash. I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap BB though so I can compare them!