Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LAME gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Mar 20, 2002.

1. i just got back from a gig that really sucked. we were playing for free, because it was a philanthropy event run by a sorority and the proceeds went to a children's hospital. well, the sorority had done NO promotion, so hardly anybody showed up. we played well, but no matter how well you play, if there's a tiny audience they're not gonna get into it.

also, the sound guy was AWFUL. Feedback on the monitors all night, and probably on the main PA speakers, for all i know.

oh well, nowhere to go but up...

2. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    if theres anything i hate
    its bad sound guys :)

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That's the reason why we have our own soundguy!

Can´t trust nobody except someone we now very well.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've been there. God, have I ever been there!

Sorry to hear it, man.

5. Moral: don't play "Greek" gigs unless they involve free beer.

;)

6. so now you know why our lead singer always brings her Behringer feedback killer ;)

7. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Well at least you played in front of a bunch of chicks... could of been a frat party... that woulda really sucked!!!!!!!

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Oh, have I been there...

My band plays the Cavern club a lot - as you'd expect, it's more of a tourist attraction these days than a band venue. They have Saturday afternoon gigs there were you basically turn up and play for £20 to whoever happens to be there - during the summer, it isn't a problem, but the winter's a different story.

We played there on the Saturday after New Year's day, a dull January day. There were meant to be a few other bands on, but they all pulled out for one reason or another - maybe because the place was dead. Since we were getting twenty quid to basically practise, we thought we might as well stay. If you include the soundman, there were as many people on the dancefloor as there were on stage...

9. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Hmmm...let's see...lame gigs. There was that Mary Kay Cosmetic convention in Atlanta a few years ago. The outdoor gig at Central City Park in March, where it actually started SNOWING halfway through the set (it felt like I was plucking the strings and someone else's hand was fretting them!). The outdoor gig in Berlin, Germany where the guy shows up with our "power" for the night: a portable Honda generator. The dreaded "don't worry about bringing your PA, we've got a killer system" gig, where we found a Shure Vocal Master board, and a single JBL 15+horn cabinet flying center stage, (with the horn blown, of course).

On the other hand, there was the National Collegiate Cheerleader Competition gig in Orlando a couple of years ago...;)

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Preach. Get down.

We have our own sound guy too and he completely and utterly kicks ass. My band is a 9-piece funk/soul horn band (lot's of Tower of Power, Earth Wind & Fire, etc..). Our soundman used to do live sound for Ray Charles, the Neville Brothers, etc.. He's a ninja.

11. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Everytime we have put promotion into someone elses hands, the same thing happens. Maybe a few flyers get put up, and that's it. Unless you're working with a legit production company, always self-promote. Those greek gigs are fun huh? Yelling, beer-swilling, puking, wife-grabbing fun. Yup, a frat boy grabbed my wife's ass at a house gig once. I'm not generalizing BTW. These guys were just particularly rowdy that night.

12. Sorry to hear about the bad gig. My band had a similarly lame gig on Sunday. It was also a charity event, but for some reason we were the only rock band that they booked. So we basically took the stage at about half nine, after six hours of jazz and traditional Irish music, and lasted two songs before the organiser told us our time was up. The crowd gave us applause, but they were probably more scared than impressed ;). I suppose we at least got a crowd, even if they were there to hear jazz.

I dont think they'll invite us back.

13. Yup. The frat gig. I went to school at the University of Alabama, a place notorious for the greek system there. I played several greek shows, with mixed results.

One of them was utterly awesome. The frat was holding a large end-of-the-year party and their band cancelled. Our rhythm guitarist lived with one of the greeks, and in an emergency got us to play for them. With no real practice (things had been slow), we took the stage and played everything we could think of, from Danzig to Jimmy Buffet. The crowd loved it (they're greek, remember??), and the best part........around $3000. I ate well that night.

That is the exception though. Every single other time we played I made the band rush through our sets so we could get our money and go. It is not as bad as everyone thinks, but if you are looking for racism in the south, go to a fraternity at the University of Alabama.

Sorry to get off topic, but nothing makes me want to unplug and get the f**k off stage like hearing a slur from the audience. :mad: :mad:

I'll get off my soapbox now.:eek: