Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lame guitarist

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kearney, Oct 25, 2004.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i had a jam sorta witha guitarist on sunday, i dont know if it was more humiliating to him or to me. first of all, he couldnt play the songs he said he could play, then, he didnt bother to learn the songs i gave him to learn, AND HE COULDNT EVEN DO CHORDS!!!!i have a rudimentary guitar knowledge, so i had to frickin place his fingers where they needed to go, i said "gimme a d" and this kid was one of those excuse kids like "oh i only know powerchords" and i was like well lemme see.

his definition of a power chord was playing the top 2-3 strings of a bar chord, and not even forming it right

im never gonna find a decent guitarist for as long as i live

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    They exist, they're jsut hard to find. It's like looking for a UFO, or a smart blonde...they're out there, people have seen them, but trying to find one yourself is hard to do.

Ray :D

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That sucks. My guitarists are great. They make me look like crap. AND I'M THE BASSIST. If they can make a bassist look bad they're really good :D They're also good friends of mine.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He's probably a beginner, or someone not devoted to his instrument... if he was, he'd be full of himself by now.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You think you have it tough? Try playing with a prodigy! Our guitarist was a child prodigy. Heck, when he was younger, he went on the Apollo show and won for weeks in a row just playing his guitar.

6. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    hes a begginner and not devoted, he says he has a gibson SG supreme!

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know how old you are, but if you go to college you'll meet plenty of "guitarists."

Apparently, what defines a guitarist is one who owns a guitar.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ouch! I actually like playing with musicians that are (far) better than myself, it lets me get the most improvement I think. I guess that's kind of why I joined the bands and such that I did down here, they are all 100% serious musicians, and KNOW their stuff, and at every practice I learn something new about technique or theory, and then apply it as well, so that it sticks. This is just my two cents, but I like being the "worst" member in the band. I guess they still consider me good enough to play with them, as they haven't kicked me out yet :bag:

Ray

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    That's what I tell younger players who ask for my advice. Make sure you're the weak link in the band. Your playing will take off!

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...that's usually why I don't get the gig...

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Perfect.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I like having at least one member of the band be more talented than I.

I would hate to be in a band where the drummer isn't better than, or at least as good as me. Because a good drummer makes me sound good. Hell, I don't care what the guitarist, singer, keyboard player, sitar player, kazoo player are doing, the melody is up to them, the groove is up to me and Mr. Sticks.

13. Huh, I never knew I was a guitarist too, awesome! I think?...

14. I'm in band where I'm the weakest link too, the two guitarists and drummer have about 6-7 years of experience each compared to my few months seriously picking up the bass, (picked up a few years back but neglected it) I must testify that your playing will significantly improve as long as you pull your own weight. :) :bassist:

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I wouldn't brag about it on this forum. :eyebrow:

;) I'm a guitarist too.

16. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    yeah guys im feelin the tug of the darkside here, i got an acoustic guitar yesterday cuz i signed up for guitar class, and im gettin a telecaster for christmas, i cant decide whether i wanna be a guitarist or a bassist

entwistle vs townshend
    simonon vs strummer & jones
    bruce vs clapton
    JPJ vs page

:meh: :confused: :( :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got guitars, but the attraction is weak.....

18. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA

My girlfriends blonde and she graduated with a 3.8
    and my best friends a great guitarist.
    Guess Im just lucky

19. Maybe he is indeed a beginner at guitar, but I bet he's a genius at the jaw harp. :) Those hidden skills, you know?

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I write my songs on guitar. I usually shower afterwards!
    :D