1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lame string ID question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FromTheBassMent, May 11, 2010.

1. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    A few years ago, as I was trying different strings to find the ideal match for a passive Warwick Corvette 5 (J style pups), I had a set of strings on it with yellow/gold silk windings. I really liked these strings, and made a mental note to "go back to the ones with the yellow windings" if I didn't find something better.

Then I put some flats on for a specific recording project (I normally don't play flats), then put on some LoRiders and just ended up sticking with those.

I remembered those yellow windings... and tried to remember what brand of strings they were wrapped around. But I failed.

I've tried a lot of ground and compression windings in my years of playing bass, but I know they're not the Rotosound Solo Bass (green) or the Ken Smith Compressors or Slickrounds (purple) or DA Halfrounds (no silk).

Any body have any idea what string maker uses a yellow silk?

I know, not much to go on. Be nice to me, I'm old....

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yellow Silk strings that I know of:
    Dean Markley Steel
    MTD Nickel
    Fender 7150

They probably weren't Fenders, because that set is pretty much just for 4 string basses.

3. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Thanks Jasper. I've never tried any of those though. Hmmm... must be something else.