Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lamer Noob (but that means you should give me good advise)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MorbidFlorist, Mar 1, 2005.

1. MorbidFlorist

MorbidFlorist

Mar 1, 2005
    hey there. heres my deal, im sick and tired of just headbanging to my heavy metal so ive decided to learn the bass so i can rock out to it. now, ill have to admit i dont know the first thing about it so i was just trying to see if any of you seasoned veterans out there could give me some tips on what would be good...i like heavy metal mostly so id want something that i could eventually thrash on but i dont need top of the line instrument. what companies would you suggest i look at for a good bass and also any info on a decent amp would be nice too...thanks alot

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Peavey, Rondo, Fender, Fodera

:bag:

3. whats your price range?

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My answer to all the people looking for cheap instruments.

http://rondomusic.net

Heck, for the price, you could pick up a spare to thrash around on (practice swinging around your neck maybe?) and it'll still sound good

5. MorbidFlorist

MorbidFlorist

Mar 1, 2005
    350 max i dont think i need to spend quite that much but i can.

6. id recommend an Ibanez for that price, I got one new for $250 canadian and its great

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Flattery will get you EVERYWHERE my dear boy. :smug:

I would say Rondo Music, Good basses for a Cheap price, NO problems with it, there actually good basses.

8. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    http://www.espguitars.com/basses_b.htm ESP LTD B-50. I recently played one of these and was very impressed. You can pick them for about $180. That'll leave you a little cash to buy a samll combo amp.

9. DBlakley

DBlakley Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    D/FW Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall Basses
    If you're gonna play metal these days, a 5 string will come in real handy; what with so many gtr guys playing 7 strings or detuning to bejeezus.

As far as low-line stuff goes, I've always preferred Yamaha myself. The necks & fret jobs always seemed a little better than the others.

HTH,

Derek

10. MorbidFlorist

MorbidFlorist

Mar 1, 2005
    WHat would you all say as far as new and used goes? and is it more difficult to learn on a 5 string as opposed to a 4 or do you think it might be handy to get used to playing one early on?

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I would actually suggest a OLP 5 string ray nock off, it'll be geat in metal :bassist:

12. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I would recommend you not start on a five. They're great and everything, but if you start to get serious about woodshedding and getting your chops up, going for a four would be the best decision you can make right now. You won't regret it. Something very playable like a MIM Fender P-Bass or Stingray SUB or copy (OLP).

13. DBlakley

DBlakley Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    D/FW Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall Basses
    I don't think there'd be much difference learning from scratch on a 5 vs. a 4.

The OLP sting ray 5 copy Karrot-x suggested is probably a good idea as well.

New vs. used can either make no difference at all, or a huge difference.. if you have a knowledgable friend you can ask for some shopping help, that'd be a huge asset in that case.

HTH,

D.