Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laminated Juzek

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by azflyman, May 6, 2004.

1. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Greetings,

My bass search continues but all the horses are rounding the last turn. Anyone know about the Juzek laminated basses. I guess this is one made in Prague (if that means anything to anyone). It is not in the best of shape aesthetically but is structurally sound. Not sure of the age, probably older than 50yrs. Any experience with this type/age laminated Juzek would be appreciated.

az

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    They're all pretty decent basses as far as I know. If it 50yrs old and still in good shape (the top hasn't sunk badly or anything) then I would say that it going to last a while. Have a luthier look it over make sure that you're not buying someone else's problem.

Other than that, if the price is right (including any needed repairs) and you like it, then go for it.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have one, I love it.

Believe it or not, the person who tipped me off to it being available AND the seller thought it was carved...as did I when I first played it. That's how good mine sounds. I figured it was a plus, it sounds better than many cheap carved basses but is more rugged.

The sticker inside mine says Prague but I've heard that Juzek continued to use those stickers even after they moved production to Germany after WWII.

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Any idea what its worth?

az

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I paid $2300 for mine about 4-5 years ago; like all used basses I took it to my repair guy and paid another $500 getting it tweaked. I'd guess $2-3K depending on condition.

6. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Is there any way to tell whaere this bass was made (Prague vs Germany)? Not that it really matters, either it sounds good or it does not. I am just interested.

az

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I'm pretty sure the Plywood Juzeks were produced after WWII in Germany but I could be wrong. I have just not seen any old enough to date back to the Czeck-Juzek error before WWII.

You can contact Metropolitan Music in Vt. and ask Bobby Juzek, John's nephew. He will tell you the possibilty of the origin.

8. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Thanks for all the info. Someone bought the damn thing. :bawl:

az