Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

laminated neck question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jul 26, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I would like to make some with a tapered center stripe. How do you cut these and have the sides be perfectly flat and true. I know you cant run them through a planer or drum sander. How do you get the saw marks out?..........thanks ......t

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    rough cut with bandsaw, then you could run it threw a jointer...

least thats how i would do it

unless you have a giant industrial grade belt sander

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Yes, that is how it is done.

Be extremely careful when running that piece through the jointer.. fingers and jointer blades are a bad combination.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Yes, that is how it is done.

Be extremely careful when running that piece through the jointer.. fingers and jointer blades are a bad combination.

That is what I was afraid of. ............t

5. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    NO, NO, NO!

Make a carrier board that has a runner to fit nicely in one of the slots on your table saw. Clamp, screw, hot melt, or otherwise securely attach the board you want to saw into a taper to the carrier with the to-be-tapered part on the other side of the blade, and rip the piece with a sharp carbide rip blade. You can get down to a "0" point this way if you like.

I actually use rip cutoffs from tapering plain maple neck blanks to make thin, tapered center laminations for necks. It's really beautiful.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    That sounds like the way to do it but I don't know if everyone here has a table saw that can produce a surface clean enough for gluing. I know mine won't. I can't wait until I get more space and can get a proper saw.

The jointer will give you a true surface for gluing but maybe not parallel faces. I've done tapered laminates once and used the jointer.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks Rick but my table saw is not a nice one. I have never seen one in person but I love the look of the mouse by the way. I will have to do the joiner thing with a push piece of wood or something to keep my fingers away from the blades..................t