laminates and buying wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sam V, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    just wondering how you guys cut your laminates, I have acess to a fairly well equiped shop, just wonder what kind of saws, how to insure straightness(band saw and jointer?) and what glue you'd recomend. also I'm having trouble with shopping for wood, what kind of places would you go for wood and what should I look for in the piece. I have no Idea how to buy a rather big piece of ebony (for laminates and a fingerboard) and how to buy figured maple (bass will have a very sculpted top) and lesser grade flame maple for the neckthru. it would be great to get some tips, If this bass is goin to be quaality I need to find some quality wood. thanks
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's probably not what you were hoping for, but the more you shop for wood the more you'll be able to spot the really special boards. Look under "hardwoods" in the yellow pages and call every place in the book.

Basic tips are obvious: thoroughly inspect boards for surface checks and try to determine how far in end checks go. Know your minimum size requirements ahead of time. Do some hunting for boards that are as straight as posslble. Twisting is the worst kind of warping, and should be avoided if possible. Learn the difference between quartersawn and flatsawn and learn to read the endgrain so you can tell how the board was sawn.

I use a bandsaw to resawn, a jointer to get a true face (if necessary), and a planer to get the faces parallel. Titebond is good for 99% of bass building glue-ups.
  3. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    thanks for the tips, I guess all thats left is research. thanks for answering my question.