Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laminates in Warwick Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 3, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you notice changes in the laminates when their is changes in the seasons?.Is their anything you do about it?. Thanks

2. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    i've noticed that during the winter, my wenge neck always seems to have more sweat on the back of it after playing. i really have no clue why.

3. No; there's obviously no need to; and you're welcome.

...but who are "they"? ;) :bag:

4. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I've now had my Streamer Stage II 4 for over two years now. When I got it, the neck was the smoothest I have ever felt (after purchasing my Suhr J Bass, now it's the second smoothest), but for the last 6-9 months, I have noticed that I can slightly feel where the laminates meet. It's not a huge deal but personally, I don't think it should happen.

5. Wood laminates will expand and contract differently and you can feel everything down to less than 1mm. And yes, it SHOULD happen, especially if the woods are different and/or arranged with different grain orientations (as they should be for strength).

Unless the neck is actually coming delaminated, it is not to worry. If you don't like the feel and the neck is lacquer, just do a light sanding job on it with a very fine grit sanding sponge. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

6. Maybe has something to do with the temperature causing the pores of the wood to close up. If that's the case then in the summer that sweat probably ends up in the wood. Then again I could be way off.

7. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I'm aware of why it happens but I have and have had many basses with multi laminate necks without this happening. I'm still very happy with the bass and it's not even close to where I would even think about worrying about it. But, if the wood used was properly dried and protected, it SHOULDN'T happen.

8. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    that's what i think may be happening too. perhaps it's just me noticing the sweat there for the first time now. time will tell.

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I always keep a humidifier in my bass room this time of year! Go to store and buy youreself a cheap (or if youre like me a expensive one only the best for my basses) digital monitor. Just keep it in the 40-50 percent range!

10. oil finished necks with different types of wood can do this with weather changes. Iif you feel it more or less depends on the sensivity of your hands.

I imagine there are woods more prone to this than others.

My Streamer LX had a 3 piece all wenge neck and I never had a problem, but my Infinity LTD is 3 piece maple/ 2 thin piece walnut and I can feel (but not see, probably less than 0,05 mms) the walnut has expanded abit, but then this is only during some periods of the year and then it gets back to smoother than silk.

11. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Not on my 1989 Thumb, never.
    Neither on the 1987 Stage 2 I used to own.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The laws of physics don't care what you think SHOULD or SHOULDN'T happen. Different species of wood have different reactions to temperature and humidity changes, and if they are not completely sealed from these changes, they will expand and/or contract at different rates. "Proper" drying has net ZERO effect on this fact, and even though an oil or wax based finish isn't completely sealed, it is more than sufficient to protect a piece of wood if properly maintained - that protection still includes the fact that the wood will expand and contract a bit.

If the small amout of difference you feel between the two pieces of wood disturbs you, do as PilbaraBass recommends: Get a bit of VERY FINE sandpaper (600 grit or higher), and lightly sand along the neck in the area of the joint until it is smooth. I've done this for years on my 6 string fretless that is completely unfinished maple & wenge with no negative effect.

Lastly, don't take advice on repair and maintainence from people without any credentials at repairing or building them. Remember, not everyone on the internet is an expert (this does include ME). The advice I am passing along was learned from several very good luthiers that I'm fortunate to know well, but if you have access to good advice from reliable sources, you should seek it out yourself, directly.

13. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI

Thanks for your stern words of advice Gard

14. Yeah during the winter you can definitely feel a *SLIGHT* ridge between the woods, and the wood absolutely feels different. It's good to know that this is natural.

15. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah, that does help, its the condensation thats making the neck feel weird and sticky/slightly damp, it happened to mine in my room, but now i keep it in my living room where there is very little condensation and its fine.. all else fails, get the de-humidifier

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My Streamer LX has a 3 piece wenge neck and will occasionally show some raising of the grain, most noticeably at the laminate junction. It varies with humidity, temperature, phases of the moon, whatever. I smooth the neck by rubbing it out gently with a Scotch-Brite pad and Minwax Finishing Wax or Warwick Beeswax (your choice). I did not make this up; its on the Warwick website.

Riis

P.S. This explains why Kubicki's 37 piece laminate necks need to be profesionally refinished after a settling-in period.