Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Land of the Dead

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fatbassjazzer, Jun 23, 2005.

1. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Who's going to see it opening day? I sure know I'll be there. Me and a friend of mine are going in full zombie makeup. This movie is gonna be sooo good. I can't wait any longer.

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm going but I'm starting to have some doubts though. I understand that the zombies don't run anymore (because they've been dead for awhile now) but they're getting smarter, using primitive clubs and maybe even communicating with each other. I think in a short behind the scenes documentary I saw today on the film I saw a zombie with a gun on his back. This does not sit well with me. :meh:

3. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'll clear some stuff up. Romero's zombies never ran. His three classic zombie movies Night/Dawn/Day of the dead never had running zombies. They were always stiff and slow walking. Also, about the zombies getting smarter. If you watch all three of his previous zombie movies, you can see that through film by film they become gradually smarter. In Night of the Living Dead they were the most primitive. In Dawn of the Dead two characters talk about why the zombies came to the mall. The reasoning was because the mall was an important place in their lives that they spent a lot of time at. So that shows they aren't completly stupid. But most obviously you can tell in Day of the Dead. Dr. Frankenstein is the character who is doing all the research while they are underground. He removed all their internal organs and stuck his hand by one and the zombie tried to bite him. Thats where you get the understanding that its all in their nature. When the doctor is training the zombie "Bub" you can really tell that the zombies are learning and evolving. The doctor does experiments and trains Bub by giving him treats of human flesh if he doesn't try to attack the doctor. The one scene that really does it is when Bub is handed the gun. Bub used to be a military officer. And when the captain comes into the room, Bub salutes him but the stubborn captain doesn't salute him back. Bub then picked up the unloaded gun and tried to fire it at the captain. That shows that zombies are capable of being taught things and show that they get smarter. So zombies in Land of the Dead with clubs and stuff just goes along with the natural evolution of the zombies. Basically the zombies become more educated throughout Romero's movies.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    They can play the tuba, too.

5. actually it is well known that zombies have mastery of all brass instruments.

6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    And then the zombies stumbled onto ye olde bass shoppe.

The caretaker was long turned into one of the legion, but there sitting on the shelves were these strange, but interesting creations. What were they?

Weapons?

At first. But then, suddenly, out of nowhere, the funk started...

:bassist:

:D

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Four stars in the Chicago Tribune. That's all I have to say about that. The Trib is usually pretty generous, but to give a zombie movie four stars is pretty epic.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Zombies can't funk, but they sure know how to shuffle. :D

9. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I heard it wanked...

10. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    OH YEAH, I forgot, you need SOUL to funk ;) Or A soul, would be a good place to start. I guess that also leaves out vampires, other undead creatures, Frankenstein, Freddy, and Jason.

Anyway, if "Land of the Dead" received four stars from ANYONE, I'm guessing there is more to it then hack n slash. Intriguing. Okay fine, sold. I'll see it. But it better not have some certainly doomed ending with no clue as to how this whole debaucle got started! Enough of that!!!

-T

11. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Well I saw it opening day with full zombie makeup on. It was so awesome. I love this movie. The gore was great considering the limitations Romero had for it. Has anybody else seen it yet? I'll try and get some pictures of me and my friend at the premier. It was great.

12. I'm going to see it, not sure when but me and my friend really want to see it.

13. I saw it...and during the previews, about 5 seconds before the Serenity trailer, I was thinking that it was about time to see a trailer for it in theatres...one second in, first shot of the trailer I stood up, pointed at the screen and shouted "Oh my ****ing god! DUDE!!!"...about three people clapped when I did that(I assume they were fellow browncoats). Anyone else a fan of firefly?

And I enjoyed the jokes about going to Canada, seeing as I live here. His movies are always good and its nice to see he hasn't lost his touch. Romero's movies are also more than just zombies and gore, but social satire. The rich vs poor thing was a nice touch, although what they need money for when they just steal whatever they need is beyond me.

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Rocky Horror Picture Show", all over again. :D

15. Great movie. Saw it Saturday night, loooved it!

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Saw it last night - thought it was pretty decent. I thought the priest zombie was pretty cool.

One question, though - shouldn't the zombies have floated?

17. "Im just a sweet transvestite............"

18. Good point. And if they did, they wouldve gone floating down the river as well...probably.

19. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'm the green zombie.

Attached Files:

20. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    One of them towards the end of the night.

Attached Files: