Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Land Rover owners: insight please...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Jul 6, 2004.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My GMC finally went down for the count, so I begin the used vehicle search. I've come across a '98 Land Rover Discovery LSE with low miles and in great condition for a good price. I only know three people who own Land Rovers, so I'm looking to y'all for opinions/thoughts/experiences etc.

FWIW, I'm also looking at a '99 Ford Explorer and '98 Dodge Dakota Club Cab. All V-8s, all 4-dr, all 4wd. Please none of the "save the environment" lectures.

Thanks!

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think they have pretty poor histories of reliability in general. I checked Consumer Reports Online for you but they didn't seem to have history on that particular year. They do show the '00 model though and it shows that in general there were lots of problems with engine, cooling, electrical, brakes, power equipment and body. I think that is based on repair history of surveyed owners. One interesting thing I noticed though is that Land Rover has various recalls on every year of Discovery from '93 to '04.

On a brighter note they are pretty cool looking. :p

brad cook

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Look around for Land Rover dealers. Now look around for Toyota dealers. Get a Land Cruiser. I sold mine to a friend after 7 years and 154,000 miles of driving it. Now it has over a quarter million miles on it, and has never had the head off. The only repair it needed while I owned it was replacement of a front axle seal. Also, it'll carry much more gear than a Rover. Get one 1993 or newer. That's when they finally designed a good engine for it instead of that old Chevy clone.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Land Rovers are very cool looking, but notorious for having lots of service issues. They also get really poor gas mileage and have very small cargo areas. My brother tried to pawn his Discovery off on me and I was appalled by what I learned about them. They do some things well. They are made to do off-road activities, and you can do some serious wheeling in one. What they look and run like afterwards is another story. Probably the best way to consider which vehicle to invest in is like this:

Imagine that you need to have a fairly sizeable engine part replaced, like a water pump. Go price what each dealer would charge to do the work (or cruise independents if you have them). You may find the domestic models more attractive. The down-side to all of the models under consideration is maximum weight capacity. I know the Explorer is nearly maxed out weight-wise if you put four people in it. Add lots of music gear and the stability of the car is seriously compromised. The Dodge (shudder) may have simialr issues.

I went through this years ago and went with a Ford Expedition. Great cargo capacity, tows anything, and has been reliable.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks all for the input. Munji - a Land Cruiser was actually the first thing I looked at...I've always been a sucker for them, since well before I could drive. Unfortunately, around here Land Cruisers keep a VERY high resale, and anything within the acceptable mileage catagory is well over my budget. I did look at a '94 Cruiser with 191k on it. I would love something like that, but the parents would never allow something like that, and if I have to end up with a little financing through the bank I work for, the vehicle can not be over 7 years old.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You're the one who has to pay for the gas. ;)

If you get a Land Rover you'd better have (1) another car for when it's in the garage, and (2) a good relationship with a mechanic.

7. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I actually sell Land Rover just north of Chicago at Land Rover of Lake Bluff. Salesman by day, rocker by night. Sorry guys, but I'm afraid I'm much more qualified than any of you for advice on Rovers. That being said, I'm in full agreement with all of you. I personally would never buy a 98' or down in model year Land Rover. Big, big $$$$$$$. Lots of service issues. You'll love it WHEN it's running, but don't count on buying all of those basses you want. If you're rich, who cares, buy and have fun. If not, try to at least get a 99' or up Rover. Those are at least good trucks. If you can get one in warranty, even better. Trust me dude, if ain't got cash, don't buy it. Same goes for BMW, Benz, Audi, Porschem Rover, blah blah. These are all very exspensive to fix outside of a warranty. And the award for the most expensive vehicle to fix outside of warranty goes to..............budbdudbudbudbudbudbudbdubdudbdu............................ beleive it or not!...............................Toyota!!!!!!

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So how did they magically stop having service issues in '99? And why is it that the surveys of owners in Consumer Reports show widespread reliability and service problems for the '00 and '01 models (they don't show results for any other years)? I'm sorry but when it comes to honest assessments of products I've never found salesmen to be the best ones for an unbiased opinion. I'm not saying that you're trying to lie, I'm definitely not saying that. But when your career is selling a product you can't do that happily without having a rosy outlook on the product. So whether it's good or not it's going to be good in your eyes. Actually I'm not saying they're not good at what they're made for but I'm referring to the reliability issues.

brad cook

9. Not true...if you can find an older Land Cruiser with a 22R series engine, you'll never have problems. 22R engines were the most reliable engine built...EVER. You can never go wrong with a Toyota.

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I have a '97 Explorer w/ 5.0L V8, 4 door, 2wd. I love it, moves quick when I need it to, and tows more than I've ever thrown at it. And I get between 17 and 20mpg highway.

The only service it's had is the A/C quit last summer, and I want to say it was the evaporator that was bad, but it's running now. I also replaced plugs and wires a few months back, but that was easy enough. Besides, after 90k I think just about any vehicle would need new plugs ;)

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    No save the environment lectures? It's really a shame that there are so many ignorant SUV driving hicks in this country.

PSYCHE!

SUVs are awesome, screw the environment, and global warming is a fraud. I must say that after listening to all the cons of SUVs, nothing beats the comfort, amp carrying capacity and awesome ride of the SUV. Once you get one, you'll only want to go bigger ( unless you have to park it :( ). Have you ever been on a Suburban? MMMmmm, those things are ecstacy. It's too bad they're so expensive and impossible to park. That, and as my fellow Suburban driver says, "if you're going to the gas station in a Suburban, you better bring a book."

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I didn't really mean the Chevy clones were bad engines. I bought a '77 Land Cruiser new, and it was a great car. My '93, however had the new straight six in it with four valves per cylinder and fuel injection. You really want that engine. I liked it better than the V8 in my current Sequoia. It just pulled like a mofo.

We agree 1,000 percent on your assertion that "You can never go wrong with a Toyota."

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I disagree. I used to own a truck based SUV and it did good at carrying gear and me, very good.

However, my new 2004 Subaru Legacy station wagon is (much) more comfortable riding, better in the snow (unless it's really deep snow, in which the Outback version would readily outperform a truck based SUV) , much better handling, safer on dry and wet roads (no rollover issues), has just as much gear carrying room, and is actually easier to pack and unpack since it's lower. Now, I took my SUV off road back in the day, if you need to go off road or need to tow, not many station wagons are going to handle that well. But if you're looking at SUVs because you need a station wagon (SUVs really are the "modern station wagon"), do yourself a favor and look into traditional wagons; you might be surprised.

As for your "screw the environment" line, well, frankly, screw you. Petroleum is not going to last forever and is not going to stay cheap either.

14. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    hah, I'm just messing around. I don't hate the environment, but SUV's don't particularly bother me. After all, automobiles in general only produce a tiny tiny fraction of the total polution out there. The linked book was interesting, but I doubt it's going to happen that soon. After all, there are tons of untapped oil reserves out there. We can drill in Alaska, force Iraq to pump out oil, drill in Russia, etc. I'm not denying that this is a big problem, but I don't think it'll be the end of the world.

15. I've had 2 Outbacks since 2000 (first one hit a deer and had 'complications' after that). I had a 98 and currently own an 03, phenomenal vehicles. The Outback has about an inch and a half more headroom than the Legacy wagon which translates into more gear in the back! You can stand a Marshall 4x12 up in the back, and is wide enough to get any 2x15 or 8x10 from door to door. (it's also wide enough to fit a Thunderbird case across the back seat! Also, like Philbiker said it's easier to load and unload than a Blazer because the deck is closer to the ground. I heartily recommend them! :)

16. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Gotta love the bass player board - how good a car is = how well it handles all kinds of configurations of speaker cabs and unusually large basses. :p :bassist: :)

17. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well Brad, when you see as many as I have, which you haven't, you know with an unbiased point of view what is happening. Regardless of your opinion of sales people, I can tell you that what I said is absolutely true. If you think I'm biased then tell me this, why would I say the following, " Don't buy a Land Rover Freelander"? Because I think it's overpriced, especially for the targeted market. It also has lots o' flaws in terms of ergonomics that drive me nuts, yes me, the salesman. Also, when reading Consumer Reports, remember this: THEY ARE ALSO BIASED. On top of that, real statistics show that only 20% of satisfied car buyers in general will talk about a great product while 70% of unsatisfied car buyers will pitch a fit. Now, is the 99' or up Discovery as reliable as a Toyota? No. Nothing is. Toyota is one of two of the most reliable cars in the business. Oh, magically in 99' the Discovery was revamped. They got rid of the junk Lucas electronics and went over to Bosch. It really is a different vehicle than the 98'. We refer to a 98' and down as a series one and anything over that as a series 2. Also, kep in mind that I'm not only a sales man, I'm also a bass player. C'mon Brad how many uncool bass players have you met in your life? I can count mine on one hand. :bassist:

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I wasn't making a character judgement man.

brad cook

19. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Cool man, no offense taken. Bass playa luv!

20. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

I know for a fact that he has met at least one :ninja: