1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Landmarks that just make you feel old....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, when I was a young adult in the late 80s and early 90s, I would work all day as an electrician in my hometown. About three nights a week I would head for the town I live in now....about a 70 mile drive.... to hang out in live music venues and (if I was lucky) find my way into the apartment or dorm room of a companion for the night. I had to leave the warm embrace of a naive girl whose name I struggled to remember about 5:00 a.m. to get home to work on time at 7:00.

So work, drive, party, after party, short nap, drive, two gigs on the weekends, rinse and repeat. But I was bulletproof back then so it worked for a while until I moved here.

About halfway from here to home was a gas station in a tiny crossroads town. The Red Apple. It looked not unlike little country gas stations look today. Tile floors. Shelves lined with stuff designed to keep young idiots going as they burned the candle at both ends. Diet Mountain Dew, Baby Ruth candy bars, flat-top burgers and Goodies powders for the hangover I knew I would have at some point. Clean restrooms. And biscuits in the morning made by this sweet old African American woman that were much better than my own mom's. She worried about me and promised to pray for me every time I came through. I don't know why, but I always left thinking that her prayers were probably more effective than most. So I wore them as a shield. My belly, my car and my soul refueled, I sped out of there kicking up gravel and rocking out to some Allman Brothers or ELP in the cassette player.

I survived on that store for a couple of years. On the way to or from my escapades, if I were about to pee my pants, about to starve or thirst to death, or about to run out of gas, all I had to do was make it to the Red Apple and I was home free. That fluorescent sign around the curve meant I would live to fight another day with dry pants and a full tank!!!

Sometime in the early 90s another (slightly nicer but not much) store popped up across the tiny secondary highway. The Red Apple managed to stick around for a few months, but it was no match for the shiny new Texaco and ultimately closed.

About that time I got my first apartment here and joined several bands at once while still working as an electrician at a factory some 50 mile commute away. Still running from daylight I moved on to another store in a different direction, with no sweet old lady praying and no hand-made biscuits.

These days there are interstates that get me from one town to the other. But every now and then I take the back roads. I did so over Thanksgiving. There at the intersection I remembered so fondly from a couple of decades ago sat my mortality....disguised as a crumbling old Greek ruin. The Red Apple of yesteryear is gone and has been replaced by a shocking blow to my ego ....not unlike my own "laugh lines" and grey beard hairs.

The store that stood as a beacon of hope to a bulletproof youngster with fire in his eyes and wind in his long hair now sits as a reminder that time eventuially comes for us all.

It's for sale, so you might say it now resides at the intersection of Realty and Reality.

What is your "Red Apple"?
    20171125_152240.

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I never actually dined there, but the Milk Farm restaurant sign in Dixon, CA is definitely a landmark for me. My family used to travel I-80 from Sacramento to visit my uncle and his family in Berkeley fairly often in the '70s. When my brother and I became young men, we used to make the drive to hang out with my cousins in Berkeley in the early '80s. We made the drive often, and on the way back to Sac, the Milk Farm sign always let us know we were getting close to home. The sign is still there, but the restaurant's been closed for a long time.
    ce7ec8380b030c8b775bcd445c500fd5.

Lbsterner, D M C, S-Bigbottom and 4 others like this.
  3. Either of the high schools I attended, so I stay away from them.

A bar I used to hang out at on the beach. It's still the same building, but now it's a travel agent.

A whole section of Bangkok that was bulldozed to make way for a new shopping mall & a Holiday Inn.
    no, make that 4 total, 3 other sections of Bangkok that were torn down in the name of progress

One is the site of the Bangkok Continental hotel now & the entrance to the Asoke/Sukhumvit subway terminal.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    47th Street likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Most museums. What used to be so interesting is probably pretty passe for the younger generation - with the interwebs, the real thing probably is not as special to them.

JRA and two fingers like this.
  5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I was 17 when I went in the Army. One year stateside then six years in Heilbronn Germany. Started my first band there and had a little joint two villages over that let us play Friday/Saturday nights when we weren’t on maneuvers. We brought beer drinking Americans in the house so it was a win/win for all. Between 19-24 years of age I traveled between my base and that little joint a thousand times...... The 3am after the gig run took us thru downtown Heilbronn. Was a joint slap middle of downtown. Turkish fellow in the window flipping burgers on a flat top grill invariably with a smoke in his mouth. The kind of fellow that defines the word “swarthy”. He could always be counted upon for a couple of 3am greasy burgers and a room temperature beer to wash them down. The SNL skit with Belushi hollering cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger always reminded me of that place.

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    For me it's the Northland shopping center, one of the first shopping centers in North America. It was considered the standard that most malls tried to attain. Life magazine called the most elegant of shopping centers ever built in an artical in the late 50's (back when Detroit had the highest per capita income of any major city in the US). It was built in 1954 and the hang out for Jr-Hi kids in the 70's when I was growing up. It was enclosed in 1970. It was built by Dayton Hudson and the first of four suburban shopping malls to take advantage of the real estate boom of the 50's. I hung out there as a kid, and managed a sporting goods store there as a young adult. Demolition begain in Oct of this year. I still live in the same area.

pjbassist, Aberdumbie, LeftyD and 3 others like this.
  7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Driving past college campuses makes me feel old... really old.

The other one is kind of odd - it's the stretch of Highway 101 that runs past Morgan Hill, south of San Jose. When I emigrated to California at the age of 18, I lived in Santa Barbara and periodically drove to San Francisco (or Marin when I was working the Renaissance Faire up there). That section of 101 had not been completed yet, and the road took you on a surface street for a few miles through Morgan Hill. And the parts nearby that were under construction were narrow, with no shoulder. Driving them late at night felt like you were a sneeze away from wiping out on the center divider.

8. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    Today I drove by the strip center that used to house the Dominoes Pizza where I worked in high school. There was a record store next door and I used to hang out listening to new releases when things were slow and no pizzas to deliver.

The strip center was new in the early seventy’s and there wasn’t anything to the north of it but empty fields surrounding OSU’s airport.

There’s a tax preparer and a nail salon where the Dominoes and record store used to be and the suburbia goes on for miles to the north. The airport is still there though and cows still graze lazily in the university’s surrounding ag. college fields.

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Going to the old general store in my hometown. Just heard on the Facebook that they're shutting down for good this December. Gonna have to stop in for a Pepsi and a Jos. Louis (aka "Mad Dog Vachon Cake") for old times sake.

two fingers and FilterFunk like this.
  10. Awesome OP.

Nothing goes derelict round my parts, so I got nothing.

The orange tree I planted with my Dad is now 10ft tall and bountiful.

11. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    There are so many I'd be writing all day. So many places are gone or abandoned. Rarely do they ever become anything remotely as good as what they were. Many sit for sale for years and years as they just crumble and rot. I've lived in this area all my life and remember back to when I was about 3. The town I grew up in, was a booming little place that had multiple gas stations, businesses of all types, everything you could ever need. When the railroad stopped, so did the town. Now the places that do remain keep changing hands as nothing really prospers. The only steady fixtures in the town are the feed store and the bar, which seems to be the case with most small towns around here. But the feed store's days are probably numbered too, as more and more farmers stop farming.

FilterFunk and two fingers like this.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The first house we lived in when we moved to Washington State.
    I know, boring. But hey, I didn't live the type of life you did when I was that age.

-Mike

FilterFunk and two fingers like this.
  13. When I drive by houses I lived in as a child I'm completely blown away, because they seem so tiny.

ahc, FilterFunk, flojob and 1 other person like this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Down in south Alabama there is an old red tractor inside a giant evergreen tree. If you didn’t know it was there you wouldn’t know it was there. I know this because the first time i saw the tractor the tree was already coming up right behind the drivers pan. It was an old tractor with a big punched steel saddle mounted on a big leaf spring. It was visable from a dirt road that started between peanut fields and ran that way for miles. A whole lot of fields seperated by wind breaks. It was not a maze, but you wouldn’t want to get caught down there in the dark unless you knew the lay of the land or you could ride for a while trying to find a paved road. There were several spots where you could go and watch the Vietnam bound gunship pilots honing their air to ground skills. Tracers fried from vulcan guns made trippy dotted lines in the night sky and even though we were miles away you still caught the rip of the chin turrent on a cobra gunship when it made a strafing run. The towns rolled up sidewalks a half hour before sunset so we’d ride out to the sticks and make the rounds of the usual spots hoping to run up on a little party or something, and this tractor in a tree was down in one of those windbreaks. Anywho, we watched the tree grow bigger and eat more of the tractor. For a couple years it looked like the tree was driving the thing. So i left for a few years and when i came back the old stomping grounds were still peanut fields and wind breaks, and the tractor eating tree was continuing to consume that old tractor. I abandoned the area in the early 80’s and have only been back to visit but in another town over from the place i did junior high and high school, but i always try to leave early enough going home to drive out and see my old tractor eating tree. The tractor was swallowed years ago but the tree still stands, but like everywhere else, progress is chipping away. Some of the fields on the edge of this plot have been converted to subdivisions and it’s just a matter of time before we will be cut off from our tractor eating tree.

pjbassist, FilterFunk, flojob and 2 others like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Next time please snap a pic.

Great story.

pjbassist and fhm555 like this.
  16. I recently saw a photo of the elementary school I attended. It was old when I started 1st grade in the fall of 1960. It was torn down years ago and replaced with a metal building. The contractor said that he was tearing down a better building than he would be putting up.

17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve taken a few over the years but like the rest of my life, they are scattered who knows where, but we are planning a trip down that way for new years so i’ll make surr to get one if i can still get down there to it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    two fingers likes this.
  18. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I drove right by that last week.

FilterFunk likes this.
  19. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

When I went to high school we would drive off campus for lunch and head to Lou's Burgers. They had great grub and a fantastic banana split to share with your girl :)
    2705590912_94cc5cf039_b.

20. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    There was something similar for me. In the summer when I was a kid we used to go up to the lake or Cedar Point and we’d drive by Mom Wilson’s, north of Delaware, Oh. There were Burma Shave type signs posted along the highway advertising what they sold, which was mainly sausage, but there were other things too.

Mom Wilson’s was a little single story shop set back about 100 yards off the highway, abutting a field. There were two banners splayed diagonally across the big picture windows that read, “Closed for the Summer” “See you in the Fall.”

We only passed by in the summer when it was closed so we never stopped and it was forgotten about by the time the fall rolled around.

It’s abandoned now.

pjbassist, two fingers and FilterFunk like this.