Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lane Poor help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fello, Aug 27, 2003.

1. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Is anyone familiar with the sonic characteristics of the different models of Lane Poor Pups.I just bought a new pair of replacement pickups for my 6 string, to replace my Seymour Duncans.One of the lane poors is a M4.5HB and the other one is an M4.5W.I understand the HB means humbucking and the W means Wide aperture.I would like to know what does this mean sonically,and which one should go in the bridge position and which one in the neck position.I will install them along with a John East U-retro deluxe to replace the Bartolini preamp.Thx.

2. Lane commonly used to recommend using the HB at the bridge and the W at the neck position.

I have a pair of M3.5Ws in my Hamer 12-string, but have also tried the M3.5HB, which I sent back.

In my experience, the wide aperture pickups have more of a "single coil" type sound, with very broad frequency response that is clear and deep in character, not overly accentuating any particular range.

I found that the HBs, while having impressive openness on the top, had a very dominant low mid focus to them. Lane said they "moved pants".

I much prefer the sound the W to the HB model. You might say that the HBs are more "punchy" sounding, while the Ws are more "accurate". Both types are hum-canceling.

When I had both the W and HB I tried the HB at both the neck and bridge positions, each giving a unique tone, though as Lane originally suggested, most people probably used the HB at the bridge.

3. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Thanks 12bass for your reply.I think i'll follow Mr.Poor recomendation and install the HB at the Bridge and the W at the neck.I Generally play more towards the bridge pickup, and like the low mid frequencies alot, so ,considering that, I'll put the HB on the bridge position.
    Why do you think he suggested mixing the W and the HB's(the seller also mentioned this,but didn't tell me why)and using the HB on the bridge?
    Thank you once again for all your help 12bass.

4. You are welcome!

I would speculate that the HB was suggested for the bridge position because the tone is usually thinner and using the HB there would make it fuller and more punchy sounding. The neck position is usually deeper sounding, making the wide aperture W more suitable.

You may want to try both variations.

I like a more transparent sound and found it in the M3.5W, so I installed one in each position.

5. I was passing through the post´s and notice that you are located in Venezuela, do you live in Caracas? I am just curious, since they are about 2-3 bassist from Venezuela in the forum.

6. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    HI Malabito, I used to live in Caracas, until 4 years ago, when I moved to the US to attend music college.I would love to go back , but considering the situation down there now, It's probably not going to happen at this time.Too bad, I really miss Venezuela.:bawl:

7. Yepp things down here are really messed up, every day things are getting worst, its really sad when most of the young people (thats including me), are desperate to leave their country becouse of the situation, I really hope things will change someday.

Were are you studying music?

8. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    HI.I'm currently finishing at Berklee.
    It's really sad what's happening in Venezuela.I know what you mean, about the young people, and speccially musicians.I can tell you that at least 80% of all the musicians that I knew, and used to play or relate in Caracas at that time, have left the country, either to move here to the US, and some to Europe too, specially Spain.
    And of course, that's happening with all the young people , not only musicians.
    That Sucks!:mad:

9. So for the benefit of all of us who haven't been to Venezuela, what's going on there that's making people want to leave so desperately?

10. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Well, don't take me wrong, Venezuela is still a wonderful place to go and visit, with nice people and lots of beautiful natural attractions to visit.But for the people living there, the economic and political situation has become almost unbereable, with a very high inflation rate, and lots of unemployment, like most of the countries in South America.The thing about Venezuela is that all this has changed in the course of 15 or 20 years.BAck then, the economy was pretty healthy and there were lots of money coming in from the oil exports.But with corruption, bad management and increse in the size of the goverment(almost 40 % of the work force are employed by the goverment) the situation has gotten very bad, with lots of crime everywhere and many many people in poverty.It seems that even though there's still lots of oil money coming in, is being wasted and poorly invested, and the current goverment is led by a really crazy and politically unprepared president,leading a kind of pseudo-comunist goverment, that feels more like a dictatorship.SO all this put together, have made the younger generations like myself, malabito and many others, leave or want to leave the country and try to find a better future somewhwre else.It's really sad.:bawl: