1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lane Poor + Obp-1 = output overdrive. HELP!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gmasca92, Aug 10, 2012.

1. gmasca92

gmasca92

Apr 9, 2012
    Hey there, so..

I have this modulus flea bass 4 strings and after years of investments I finally got all the parts matching his main bass.
    The badass bridge, the preamp, the pickup...

But then, after a few weeks playing it like this, the overall output started overdriving the sound of my bass (especially when I raised the bass frequencies).

All the parts seem to be working well, and that's the weird part.

I was in a recording session using a DI that wasn't mine and a compressor. That's when this started happening. I don't know if that has anything to do with it...

I've been considering installing a small part that would reduce the maximum output (so I could raise the volume knob to the max), because the original pickup (bartollini) seemed to have that thing and I never had troubles with it.

Please help, I love that bass and I'm not able to use it as it is now! :help:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Fresh battery?

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Consider not raising the volume knob to the max.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That doesn't make any sense since the Lane Poor is a medium to low output pickup. If anything you need some boost to get it to average pickup volume. My Sidewinders are the same way.

So the pickup is not overdriving the preamp, and the preamp shouldn't be overdriving the next thing in the signal chain.

I haven't heard of people complaining that their OBP-1 is overdriving their amp.

But a few questions would be; Where are the tone controls set on the OBP-1? They aren't maxed out, are they? That preamp has a lot of boost, especially in the bass control, so you only want to boost them slightly.

The other question is about the DI and compressor. Is the compressor first? How is it set? Where is the volume control set on the compressor? Is it a passive or active DI?

Lastly, does this happen through an amp, or just with the DI setup?

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Good call, David, and good point. The OBP-1 does indeed have a lot of boost. You're not just maxing the knobs out of habit, are you?

Also, are you running the OBP-1 at 18V? Aguilar documents it as an 18V-only preamp, and although I have heard that some people are happy with it at 9V, there must be a reason for Aguilar's 18V requirement.

6. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Do not dime any of your knobs.. It is not designed to work that way.