Lane Poor pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KillMary, Jan 25, 2001.

1. KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    I have a Yamaha TRB6JP and I've heard Lane Poor makes replacements for those. To be quite honest I'm not happy about the sound of this bass. First because there's too much noise, second because the sound is not what I expect from a bass in this price range. My Neuser with Bartolinis smokes it.
    Anyway, I haven't been able to access , and I know that's the correct site. Are they still around? I hope their server is just down or something because I have heard that they make the best pickups around today... anybody here has them?
    Does anybody else make TRB6 replacement pickups?
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as best as i can tell, lane poor is gone, or at least taking an extended and unannounced vacation from pickup building. which is a shame - i love lane poor pickups, i have them in 4 neck's worth of my 7 strings.

3. KillMary

Jan 25, 2001

What would you recommend I get instead? Everybody's got Bartolinis and EMGs... and I don't think anybody makes them in the TRB6 size... I don't want to have to cut up this beautiful bass...
  4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know. you might try seymour duncan pickups - they may have a refit.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I think John's right. Aside from EMG and Bart, I dunno' if there are a whole lotta'
    replacements for 6-string soapbars. You might try a pickup re-winding service.
    There should be some ads in Vintage Guitar magazine/newspaper.

Update: I didn't know it was those pups - they are rare birds...

...Here's a couple options along the lines of "lowering the river" (i.e., "If you can't raise the bridge")

1. Leave the pups in and try a different preamp. Maybe beef-up the shielding too.
    2. Get new Bart pups and a new preamp.

S/D lists the "ASB2-6" 6-string soapbar. I didn't see any dimensions listed, BUT you
    can ask for a snail-mail catalog here => .
    They might be in there.
    [Edited by notduane on 01-26-2001 at 09:37 AM]
  6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think bartolini might have a refit for the jp - extra wide single coils, right? that's sorta like the bill dickens signature pickups in the bill dickens sig groove tools 7-string. they might work without you having to modify your instrument

check out
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My first post on TalkBass was pertaining to putting Lane Poors on a Carvin I was having built. One of the responses advised against it. The reason she cited was that she sent her bass to Poor for pups something like 4 or 5 months earlier and hadn't received it back, had any contact from them, and couldn't get a hold of anyone who could help her out.

I can't remember the make, but some builder/luthier I saw a few weeks ago offered Poors as the stock pups. Maybe that's all they're doing and to hell with the rest of us. I can't access their old website either.
  8. KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    notduane, you got my bass right to its color :) they're not that rare, most Mars stores I've been to in GA and FL always have one or two. I got it and my Neuser bass at Thoroughbred in Tampa before they sold to Guitar Center. Got a real sweet deal on both :)
    I would never send my bass anywhere... I'd get the pickups sent to me and put in by this repair guy I know.
    Maybe the problem isn't the pickups, maybe it's the preamp as you guys pointed out. Has anybody ever run Yamaha pickups with a Bartolini preamp? I think I'll try that first and if that doesn't work, I'll have the preamp already and all I'm going to need is the pickups :)
    Since even the bass control adds hiss, the preamp might indeed have something to do with it...

Oh and get this. I saw Patitucci a couple years ago when he was playing with a few other cats in that D'Addario tour, and when I got to talk to him I asked him if he ever had a problem with noisy pickups. He seemed pretty upset that I asked that and just said "Never." and then he left...
  9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I did a search on on "TRB6JP" and found a review
    at the B.G.R.A. In it, there was a link to the pic. When John mentioned "JP",
    I thought it was a Jazz/Precision arrangement (duh). Then - Ohhhh, John Pattituci (double DUH!).
    I'm sorry. My English not good. I meant that the pickups might be kinda' rare, not the bass.
  10. KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    Oh yeah from what I can tell, no other bass in the world has this size pickups other than the TRB6s.
  11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you might want to check out the dimensions of the bill dickens sig bart pickups - they are single coils like those, and they are for a 7 string, so they are probably wide enough.
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm pretty sure Lindy Fralin could use your old pickup housings and make you some customs to your specs. Ii have never dealt with them, but Everyone I know who has used them has had great success. I'm thinking of sending him my Pallaedium pickups to rewire.
  13. Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    Lane Poor is gone for a while and I would bet for forever. I waited for a year to try to get pick ups from him, but never got them. Even sent hime $150, down the drain. When I talked to him last (around November)He said he got a new machine and was going to take a break for a bit, Never talked to him again after that. I went with AERO instrument pick ups and I think they are just as good if not better than LP's. For those who are lucky enough to have a pair of LP's I would recomend hanging on to them. I would also recomend Seymor Duncans.
  14. In my experience with the Yamaha TRB6P, the pickups are OK, but the preamp is not the best in the world. Duncan do NOT make a retrofit pup. Fernandes Gravity 6 basses appear to have the same pup, might be worth investigating, but I'd upgrade the preamp first. Duncan, Bartolini, Aguilar all make good preamps.
  15. You know, I was wondering why Modulus wasn't putting the LP humbucker into the Flea series anymore...
  16. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I used to own a TRB6 and I liked the preamp but it was an older model, perhaps a better version of the preamp. Have you tried adjusting the internal trimpots in the control cavity? Try backing down the bass and the gain and see if that does'nt help with the noise.
  17. Sherman da bass

Sherman da bass

Nov 7, 2002
    Can't remember where I heard it,but I heard Lane Poor fell off his rocker ;yup went plum crazy...

anyway thats what they say...
  18. Hey guys
    just reading through, saw this thread. Yeah lane poor is pretty much done making pickups at elst for a very long time. the goods news for me is that i am haveing a bass made buy one of the guys who used to work with lane and he has a set uf pick ups that he made that he is giving to me FOR FREE WOO HOO !!!
    any way this guy is thinking about starting up his own pick up company i have on of his P bass proto-types in my american standard pbass and they smoke i don't want to give his name out yet cuz i don't know if he is (can ) starting the company. let me just say one thing: he designed many of the Lane Poor pick ups like the p bass one and the humbucker i believe. any way i'll let you know what heppens just want to share my good new that my custom sic string is gonna have LANE POORS in it i'm so excited.

i'll post a pic when i get it
  19. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I used to deal with Lane a fair amount, putting his pickups in basses I made. I have since changed to Aero and I really love them -great customer service, great sound. Lane came across some really hard times, stuff involving his family etc. that I think he'd rather not have mentioned, and had to shut down. His business suffered in the process, and I think he would have liked to have made a more graceful exit from it than he did.

I know he will get back on his feet again, and wish him all the best,
  20. We're pullin' for 'im!