Lane Poor Questions/Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saint, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    By some minor miracle, I am now the owner of 2 lane poor Music Man-Style pickups. One is from a modulus flea bass and the other is one of Lane's aftermarket MM replacements.

I have 2 questions, and would appreciate any help in answering them:

1. The Modulus pickup(marked: MM4HB)is physically much thinner than the aftermarket Lane Poor. While I know Lane made different versions of his Musicman pickup (W, N, HB, etc.) the aftermarket, thicker pickup is marked only "MM4" Can anyone tell me which one I have?

2. There appear to be only 3 leads on the pickups (red, black, silver). Does this mean I can't split the coils or wire for a series/parallel switch?

2. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    C'mon folks: isn't there someone here that can help?
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I may be wrong on this, but the grounds on each coil are probably tied together as the black lead. So for parallel black goes to ground and red and silver are tied together as the hot lead. For seires disconnect the black, red is hot and silver is ground (or vice versa). For single coil black is ground, and either red or silver are hot.
  4. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    If I remember correctly Lane offered the MM in a few flavors:

double wide
    double narrow
    and I even think he did a combo of the two w/ a wide and narrow in one shell.

I'm just going on's been a long time.

If I had to guess I'd say it's a double wide. I use to have 5 string version of it and it was a physically massive PU.
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Oh man, would you be a real SAINT and sell me the flea pu at a decent price? I may be putting one of these back together!