1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lane Poor

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tycobb73, Feb 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I bought this bass a few months ago.

SOLD - Stambaugh 4 string - Lane Poors

I'm getting a little frustrated with the tone. Right now I'm into an aggressive tone. I have a Warwick Streamer LX bolt on that is a reverse pj that seems more aggressive to my liking. I'm running through a GB Streamliner into a Dr Bass 210. I have the button pushed on the GB and the bass rolled back to 9 oclock. People seem to like the lane poor's, but I couldn't find what the general consensus was as to how they performed. Maybe they aren't an aggressive pup. Maybe I'm dialing it in wrong. I tried going to the bridge pup only but still can't get it aggressive. I'm looking at new heads too, either a GK MB Fusion or the new Mesa. Can these pups get aggressive? I'll probably keep it anyway until I get a new head but if I'm going after that tone do I need to find another bass to compliment my Warwick?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I was always under the impression that LP's are a clean and even sounding pickup.

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I have Lane Poor small aperture jazz pickups in my home-made fretless. They are brilliantly clear and detailed, but they are fairly low output and the opposite of aggressive. I don't have experience with the soap bars, but I don't believe a hot pickup was Lane's tone goal. Personally, I wouldn't trade mine.

4. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

If you have Lane Poors but want aggressive pickups, congratulations! You can sell those LPs, buy some aggressive pups, and pocket a decent sized chunk of leftover $$!!

TomB likes this.
  5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    thanks guys. my tonal goals change all the time. a few months ago I didn't like aggressive tones. I'm not selling this bass but your comments convinced me I need to add a stingray to the collection.

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Have you rolled preamp volume on the Streamliner back some and increased the gain?

7. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Any amp setting suggestions welcome. Right now it is

Gain pushed in
    Gain and volume at 1 o'clock
    Bass at 9 o'clock
    Mid at 3 o'clock
    Middle frequency at 2.5k
    Treble at 1.5 o'clock
    Master at 12 o'clock

It's a 600.

8. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Sounds great with my streamer but these bases are probably worlds apart.

9. Yeah, the old Lane Poor pickups were famous for being underwound, low output, clear, clean, boutique etc etc.

That's the opposite of aggressive for sure! In general, as pickups are wound hotter, they get more mid range, and the treble peak gets lower in frequency. That's what's behind my eq recomendations:

Set the onboard pre flat, or better still, set it to passive mode, if that's possible. If you have one, set your cab's horn attenuator at 9-11 o'clock.

On your amp, I'd try raising your mid freq to around 3.5 or 4k and using this like a (low) treble control, boosted to 3-4 o'clock.

Then wind off the treble to say, 10-11 o'clock.

Set the bass in the middle.

I'd also check out which Bart pre is in there. If it's a "TCT", this preamp can be very scooped sounding, so maybe a preamp with a flatter voicing may be in order.

A neck-through maple/bubinga should have no shortage of mid-range acoustically, so hopefully it just needs a few tweaks. There's heaps more tweaks I can recommend, but play around with your rig settings first.

10. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Although I like them, generally speaking I would not catagorize Lane Poors as aggressive sounding, but more toward "polite" and natural sounding pickups. Could try raising them up closer to the strings as that will increase output and make them more aggressive sounding.

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I go back and forth on whether or not to pass it on. Combine the politeness with the low output and I don't think it's the bass for me. It will probably be in the classified soon.

12. Original Lane Poor pickups sell for good prices on ebay. Why not change the pickups? You might even make money...

13. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I'm visually impaired so I can't work on my basses.