Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? lanepoor?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 19, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i've heard great things about the lane poor pickups, but i can't find info on them. the website semms to be down. can you help me? and what kind of pickup you'll suggest for a p bass?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think lane poor has left the building, as far as his company is concerned, which sucks, because his pups were the best, imo. :(

3. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    Yep Lane is gone, he said he was going to shut down so he could get some new winding machines. I think he just said that to keep me happy, but I knew we would never see his pick ups again, and they were great.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One of my favorite resources for pup info on the web says that Poor has "temporarily" ceased operations.

I hope this isn't "temporarily," like when he made basses and quit that altogether. What's left to quit? Amps/Cables/Straps/Strings???

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I agree with JT and many others who think Lane's stuff was the best. It's just seemed very wierd to me how the whole thing just kind of fizzled just when he was becoming so well-known. There was no "official statement", nothing. I know Lane used to hang around other bass discussion lists like TBL, and he knew lots of people were concerned about both him and his company (he's one of the nicest guys you could talk with), but he's never given any clue as to what's happened and what to expect. I've seen more speculative info on this one post than all the others since he dropped off the radar.
    Lane, if you're out there, you've got support!

6. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    This is PURE SPECULATION on my part, but I would think it might be hard to make a good living making pickups by hand in low quantity. OK, when you achieve the volume that DiMarzio is at, you have the pickups made overseas maybe, or you reach a quantity where you can invest in more automated equipment, and then your profit margin and quantity go up. But at low quantity, winding by hand??

I did hear a RUMOR a couple on months back that he got out of the business for personal reasons, but it was just that, a rumor...

Randy

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'd kind of heard rumblings of just the opposite nature: that he couldn't keep production in line with demand. It sure seemed like every high-end bass maker was either switching to or offering his stuff as options. I don't think demand was a problem.

8. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    I suppose if you can't keep up with production, one solution is to raise the prices! Then you stay with low production, but keep the profit per pickup up there, and just sell to a small niche market.

Randy

9. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I bought a new Modulus last year with Lane Poors but now that option is not even listed in the current catalogue. Sucks since I definitly wanted LP's in my next bass (fretless4).