Laney amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i2k, Mar 2, 2001.

1. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    I've been searching for a small and simple practice amps (since I don't want to disturbing my neighbours..:) ).
    I'm interested to buy Laney Hardcore HCM30B. Before I also interested with a Peavey Micro or Minx, but I can only find China-made Peaveys in my area. I'm not sure about the quality of these Chinese amps, while Laney is made in England (which I believe has good quality and hopefully will fit with my England-made Status bass). And Laney is cheaper too... isn't it strange ?
    I'll buy the amps via mail order, so I can't test it. Anyone has experience with Laney HCM30B ?
  2. I've still got my first amp, a Laney Linebacker 30B combo, and the HCM30B looks identical (10in HH speaker) apart from altered EQ. It's solidly built and reliable, and the only criticism is that mine has passive EQ- only cut available, so no HiFi trebly bass sounds- BUT they've added active Eq with sweepable mid and a compressor to the newer HCM30B, so it should be fine.
    with 30watts you can't really compete with a drummer, but I managed to piss off my neighbours when I used to practice with it:D
  3. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    I don't really understand what HH in speaker means. Can you explain ?
  4. HH is just the brand of the speaker that Laney uses.

HH used to make their own amps too.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Laney is not to bad. I always plug in to one where I work to test to see if stuff works out the box etc. They are nice for pratice but like The Mock Turtle Regulator said, don't try to play over drums.
  6. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    What you expect from a 30 w amps ? I'll only use it for practicing at home, not more. Or maybe I'll consider to add another 60 $ for bigger HCM60B.
    Mock & Nino, thanks guys....I'll put my order soon.