Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laney amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    What is your opinion on Laney Amps?

specially the HCM 120 Combo (Hardcore Series)

is the only amp on sale on my town´s store and i need to hear what you think.

2. I have a Laney BC-75, that I'm trying to sell actually since I have my Ampeg. They used to make the BC75 and BC120 before they moved up the the Hardcore series. My experience with my amp has been good. The cabinet should have been tuned better for the speaker but it sounded good. The Hardcore amps from what I hear are much better than the old ones. So, if you like the way it sounds, I'd say go for it. It's a good solid amp.

Actually I heard a guy play a guitar through a little Laney bass 15watt combo with bass distortion and it sounded great.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The name was good enough for Black Sabbath and Entwistle to tour with in the US at one time. If they haven't changed hands, I guess they're still very good.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    good!

thanks for the info.... i don´t really have much choice... (the only amp next to it it´s the Crate BX-100)

thanks!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've mainly been south of Sinaloa, but I imagine there isn't a whole lot of call for bass amplification there. So, I think you're kind of lucky to at least have Laney as a choice rather than a lot of others I can think of.

If you get it and are so inclined, put up a thread letting us know what you think or put a review in the "Reveiws" section. There's not a lot of good info about them.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it´s sad :(

i just have ONE store in my city (and it´s the capital of that state (Sinaloa)... it used to be 2 stores but one broke and they are closing...

and the store has mostly standard cheap basses (Yamaha RBX and Ibanez SGR)... some Yamaha mid priced (TRB, BBN)... there are NO EFFECTS for bass on sale (i got mine on an auction online), string choices are limited (just Musicman and D´Addario, and mexican made cheap strings).

When i asked for bass heads they only showed me one... and AMPEG one... at least is a good one, but pretty expensive.

as for bass amps, the city is ruled by CRATE, and this particular store sells a lot of LANEY amps...

so... feel lucky all of you near cities in US...

i almost fainted the first time i entered a shop in US :D

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I owned a BC120 for a while. Reviewed it at http://www.harmony-central.com if you are interested.

Overall, it was usable. A little underpowered but certainly an honest 120 watts. The cabinet is undersized for the speaker. DI is very good. If it is a deal, I's say you'll enjoy owning it.

Chas

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Just to add a little dissent, I've got a Laney hardcore combo, a 50 watt one, and it's awful. Poor construction, woeful speaker, and possibly the worst tone I've ever heard from any amp whatsoever. It honestly diminishes my will to live at times. If you'll pay for the postage, I'll send it to you.

(Sorry, it's been one of those days...)

9. Forget whatever bass amps are in stock at the corner shop... order whatever you want.

10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i need 120 w :(