Laney Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r6mile, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I found these in eBay:
    Laney RB5 120W:
    Laney RB6 165W:
    Laney RB7 300W:
    Laney RB8 300W:

What do you think about the brand? Does anyone here have them or know them? Which one of these would be a best investment (considering that I am 15 years old and any of those amps, especially the 300W ones, would be a HUGE investment for me?
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I recently was inthe market for an inexpensive solid state head and tried out the Laney R3H at a local dealer. Very clinical sounding - what goes in comes out. Not much character to it. That's not to say anything bad avout it! Lots of people (particularly with active on-board EQs in their basses or outboard EQs) -want- a very neutral amp which won't color their tone. This is very good as that kind of amp. The one I tried is a good strong amp with plenty of power and volume. I found a Peavey that I liked better, but the Laney was a fine amp.

I don't know about those particularly, but the head I tried was loud as hell. I'd be willing to bet the 165 watt combo you're considering would be sufficient for your needs. That sure would be a hell of a lot more powerful than the junk I was using when I was 15. :)
  3. What did you use when you were 15?
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nothing. I had a mixer and we ran the guitar, bass, and vocals through a friggin' Roland Cube 60 with an external cabinet with a 12" speaker in it. When I was 19 I got a Dean Markley Spectra combo with a 15" speaker and 150 watts. It sufficed for my first real clubbing rock and roll band for years.